Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden problem with connectivity using iPhone and kindle but macbook is fine.

I have been using the same Time Capsule for at least 3 years without a problem. Two days ago, I began having connectivity and speed issues using the WiFi - but only on my iphone and kindle. My Macbook still seems to be just fine. Was there a software update or something that happened April 1, 2014? Or is there something else I should be looking into to fix this problem

My iphone and kindle do seem to connect - most times - but the download time is extremely slow. Unusably slow.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 7:09 AM

4 replies

Apr 3, 2014 2:29 PM in response to GMPToons

No update that I know of but a neighbour may have just bought a fancy new high power wifi rig.

Go to the TC and change the wireless setup.

If you are not already using wireless names that are short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric then I do commend it.. but that is not crucial if the system has been working.

Go to the setup wireless options and wireless channels.. test the channels for 2.4ghz, use in this order.. 11, 8, 6, 1 and see if you get improvement on any of those.

Apr 4, 2014 12:50 PM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague,

Thanks for the reply. This is a baffling problem to me. I did try the things you recommended to no avail.

I do have my system setup with good names and password protection. And I live kind of 'in the middle of nowhere' and this time of year have virtually NO neighbors to interfere with my signal.

If I may ask a couple more questions:

Am I understanding correctly that there are actually TWO networks setup here? One is a 5ghz and the other 2.4ghz? So, that may explain why my laptop works since it connects to the 5ghz network. Ufortuanately, whenever I try to use my other wireless devices it also knocks out that network too.

Does ANYONE have any other suggestions about what may have happened to my connection? Is it possible that the router is malfunctioning?

HELP!

Apr 4, 2014 2:33 PM in response to GMPToons

what may have happened to my connection? Is it possible that the router is malfunctioning?

Yes, the TC can experience hardware failure at around the 3 year mark.

Yours is a gen3 I would assume.. look at the bottom rubber mat and check for A1xxx model.

It should be Gen3 A1355 or Gen4 A1409

So the steps to take. Subsequent to the ones you have already done.

1. Full factory reset.

Universal Factory Reset.. any model TC or AE.

Unplug your TC/AE from power or turn off at the power point.

Hold in reset. and power the TC/AE back on.. all without releasing reset and keep holding in for about 10sec. (this is often difficult without a 2nd person or a 3rd arm).

Release it when the status light flashes rapidly. If it doesn’t flash rapidly you have missed it and try again.

Note..

Be Gentle! Feel the switch click on. It has a positive feel.. add no more pressure after that.

TC/AE will reboot after a couple of minutes with default factory settings and will wipe out previous configurations of the router.

No files are deleted on the hard disk in a TC.. No reset of the TC deletes files.. to do that you use erase from the airport utility.

2. If the firmware is 7.6.4 which is the latest.. it is fairly buggy.. take it back to 7.6.1 and on a Gen3 take it back to 7.5.2 .. it is easy to upgrade again..

Downgrade by holding the option key when you click version on the summary page.

User uploaded file

3. New clean setup.. ensure all the things I recommended.. plus different names on the two bands so you can see which is having problems.

4. Use a wireless diagnostic tool to see if you can see some issue with the wireless signal.. It is built into Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5606

No luck I would say the TC is simply grown old and tired.. and in need of replacement.

Sudden problem with connectivity using iPhone and kindle but macbook is fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.