Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about iTunes

I come from a Windows background. I got my first Mac (a mini) in June of last year & I'm still learning.

I just upgraded my mini to Mavericcks.

I have about 200 music CDs. I want to do 2 things. I want to rip all of them in a universal (Mac, Windows, Linux) uncompressed format for archiving & I want to rip all of them in a high-bitrate MP3 format onto a flash drive or hard drive so that I can take my music with me when I travel or just to listen to in my car.

This morning, I ripped a couple of ABBA CDs. I noticed that some of the tracks are listed twice in iTunes & some are not. Why?

I'll have to get books on iTunes.

I'll bet that the next question will start a long discussion!

I can't decide between .wav & .aiff. Both will play on Windows & Apple machines. Currently, I have an Apple, but I'd also like to have a Windows machine probably using VMWare or some such program.

Windowphiles would probably swear by .wav & Applephiles would probably swear by .aiff. I've researched .wav versus .aiff & there are supporters & opponents of each.

I read on the 'net that a backup copy of .wav loses its metadata, but backups of .aiff retain their metadata. I watched a YouTube video where someone compared .wav & .aiff by inverting one of the two & then playing both. There was silence showing that the two are sonically the same. I'll bet there will be a long discussion on that! Has anybody had the experience of copying a .wav file & the copy doesn't have any metadata? Based on what I've read so far, I'd prefer .aiff to .wav.

Thank you,

David

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 7:39 AM

17 replies

Apr 3, 2014 8:17 AM in response to macnerd48

Don't archive uncompressed. Use a lossless compressed format such as FLAC or Apple Lossless (ALE). Warning, FLAC is not supported on iTunes but can easily be ripped using other (and IMHO better) rippers such as Max or XLD (my favorite). I guess the main reasons for preferring FLAC (open source so many developers) over ALE have dimished since Apple released the code and these days you don't absolutely have to use something written by Apple to use ALE. I think both rippers below also rip to ALE and what's nice is they don't have to add all the files to iTunes if all you are doing is archiving the files to different drives.

X Lossless Decoder: Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X - http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html - Tip for using: To change most settings you have to go through preferences.

Max CD ripper - http://sbooth.org/Max/

People (okay, rabid audiophiles) will fuss about lossless but I did the wave inversion test thing for FLAC and it came out flat which is good enough for me.

----

Abba listed twice in iTunes. Do you really mean you have duplicate files in iTunes? If you do you may have ripped in two different formats. If you mean it asked you to choose from several listings for labels, that is because somebody entered the same album (or two slightly different versions of the same album) multiple times in the Gracenote database and it is asking you to decide which one you want to use for labels. You need to ask very specific questions here because many general descriptions have multiple interpretations, and answers.

---

If you must go for uncompressed, go for AIFF. I bet 99.999% of the people who say they can hear a difference are dreaming, and if you are in the other 0.001% then I just don't know. AIFF supports tags which WAV does not and it's not uncommon to see posts here where people talk about having to rebuild their library at some stage and they get a bunch of generic filenames for tracks. You can get around it to some extent by having all the data as part of the (very long) file name but I figure just go the easy route.

Apr 3, 2014 3:00 PM in response to Limnos

Don't archive uncompressed. Use a lossless compressed format such as FLAC or Apple Lossless (ALE). Warning, FLAC is not supported on iTunes but can easily be ripped using other (and IMHO better) rippers such as Max or XLD (my favorite). I guess the main reasons for preferring FLAC (open source so many developers) over ALE have dimished since Apple released the code and these days you don't absolutely have to use something written by Apple to use ALE. I think both rippers below also rip to ALE and what's nice is they don't have to add all the files to iTunes if all you are doing is archiving the files to different drives.

Flac is just the codec, isn't it? It requires a GUI, right? Is Apple Lossless playable in Windows either natively or through a program? Flac would be good because it is BOTH compressed AND lossless.

ABBA listed twice in iTunes. Do you really mean you have duplicate files in iTunes? If you do you may have ripped in two different formats. If you mean it asked you to choose from several listings for labels, that is because somebody entered the same album (or two slightly different versions of the same album) multiple times in the Gracenote database and it is asking you to decide which one you want to use for labels. You need to ask very specific questions here because many general descriptions have multiple interpretations, and answers.

I don't know how it happened. I'm a Mac newbie so I'm still learning iTunes. I'll have to get beginners books on iTunes.

If you must go for uncompressed, go for AIFF. I bet 99.999% of the people who say they can hear a difference are dreaming, and if you are in the other 0.001% then I just don't know. AIFF supports tags which WAV does not and it's not uncommon to see posts here where people talk about having to rebuild their library at some stage and they get a bunch of generic filenames for tracks. You can get around it to some extent by having all the data as part of the (very long) file name but I figure just go the easy route.

I'm leaning towards .aiff since I don't want to redo 200+ CDs.

Apr 3, 2014 3:45 PM in response to macnerd48

Not having a Windows computer I don't know how well ALE is supported in Windows. Certainly iTunes for Windows will support it. I don't know if Windows Media player does.

ALE is also lossless and compressed. Apart from whatever audiophile arguments there are for one or the other the main choice comes down to convenience.

FLAC is its own thing. I play FLAC files with a variety of non-Apple players, such as VLC.

Look at "kind" to see the format of the various files. When you rip a CD using two different settings iTunes wil make a separate file for the different versions, but they will of course have identical labeling except for "kind".

Apr 4, 2014 7:13 AM in response to Limnos

I googled "ALE plays on Windows" & it isn't natively supported. It requires a codec.

The last stable Max codec was released in August 2009! Limnos stated that FLAC isn't supported in iTunes.

I want to keep it simple. I don't want to have a bunch of audio conversion programs.

I would prefer a lossless AND compressed codec. FLAC is supported on both Windows & Mac, but it isn't supported by iTunes. Confusion! I suppose that ALE is supported by iTunes for Windows, but not everybody has iTunes installed on their Windows PC.

It appears, at the present time, that .aiff is my choice since it is natively supported by both Windows & Apple. Unfortunately, it isn't compressed, but hard drives are cheap nowadays. I wonder if .aiff is fully supported (you know, tags & stuff) in Windows media player.

Apr 4, 2014 7:29 AM in response to macnerd48

By the way, Max isn't a codec, it is an application. A codec is a coding format stored inside a file wrapper. While for audio the codec is often unique to the wrapper, it doesn't have to be the case. Sometimes files with mp3 codecs will be stored as .mov whichsome audio applications refuse, but if I change the extension to .mp3 this will be enough to trick some applications into accepting it while others insist upon the .mov because they are looking at the wrapper, not the content. Not highly pertinent but it goes to show file isn't always detemining for codec. Certainly for video you can have multiple codecs per wrapper since audio and video will each have their own codecs but all stored inside a single file.

Even though Max is old, if it works then use it. On my G4 computer I am using to type this now I have a Quicktime Pro version (free!) that dates from OS 8.6 days (yes, I mean mid 1990s) which still works.

I believe there is also compressed AIFF (AIFC) thuogh I don't know how seamless that is to use, and probably isn't as efficient as ALE otherwise why develop a new codec?.

Apr 8, 2014 11:51 AM in response to Limnos

I have more questions.

I've been ripping my music CD collection to a flash drive in mp3 format. I want to play all of the tracks on a CD. So, for example, in Finder, I selected all of the mp3 tracks that I had ripped from a Creedence Clearwater Revival CD. I right-clicked & then clicked on "open with...". Itunes played the first CCR track & then it started playing something that I had ripped from another CD. Why didn't iTunes play all of the CCR mp3 tracks in the order that I selected? Why did it only play the first track? What do I have to do in order to get iTunes to play more than 1 mp3 file in sequence? Do I have to install a 3rd-party "jukebox" mp3 player program? I know that I can change the path where iTunes stores the mp3 files. I have to click thru a lot of folders just to get to the folder that has the mp3 files that I want to copy to my flash drive. I have to click on "music" & then "itunes" & then "itunes media" & finally "music". Can I set the path to an external drive or a NAS drive? After I finish ripping my music CD collection in mp3 format, I want to start over again & rip all of the CDs in an uncompressed format. Before I start ripping the CDs in uncompressed format, I want to delete the "itunes" folder from the "music" folder to free up space on the hard drive. I suppose that if I delete the "itunes" folder from the "music" folder then iTunes will recreate the "itunes" folder the next time that I rip a CD, right?

Apr 9, 2014 3:42 AM in response to Limnos

It appears that the only way to play a sequence of songs in iTunes that have been ripped from a CD is to create a playlist. Is there such a thing a a session-only temporary playlist in iTunes that will play mp3 files as long as my Mac is on & then will be deleted when I turn it off? I know that there are a bunch of free Mac-compatible 3rd-party mp3 players. Are there any that you are aware of that will play a sequence of mp3 files without having to create a playlist? I can download Vox from the App Store. Are you familiar with it?

Apr 9, 2014 4:43 AM in response to macnerd48

Here's my $ .02: Rip the CDs to ALAC. These tracks can then be played on OS X and Windows using iTunes and on Linux using Songbird. Once you've got the CDs ripped to ALAC then you can create MP3s from the ALAC files from right in iTunes. You can then use Smart Playlists to manage the two file formats.

If you do choose to go with FLAC, you can use VLC on all three platfoms, as Limnos suggests. But you'll need additional software to create the MP3 files. I also use Max and XLD, and even though Max is getting a little old it still works just fine.

Apr 9, 2014 5:51 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

I want to rip the CDs to an uncompressed format. I have about 200 music CDs, so I will need to store them on an external hard drive. Then I can use the uncompressed files to restore mp3 files. I know how to plug an external hard drive into my mini but, I can't figure out how to convert uncompressed files on the external hard drive to mp3 files using iTunes. Is that even possible to do or do I have to use a 3rd-party program?

Apr 9, 2014 6:09 AM in response to macnerd48

You can use uncompressed, lossless (AIFF, WAV) if you want. Compressed, lossless (ALAC, FLAC) is more space efficient. Just be sure and use AIFF and not WAV, as has been pointed out in the thread.

For creating the MP3 files in iTunes you might want to check out this AppleScript, calle Quick Convert. It will allow you to create copies from the lossless files of various file formats (MP3, AAC) on the fly without changing any settings in the iTunes Preferences.

Apr 9, 2014 9:58 AM in response to macnerd48

Is there such a thing a a session-only temporary playlist in iTunes that will play mp3 files as long as my Mac is on & then will be deleted when I turn it off?

No. That's the problem with playing them in iTunes, they have to be part of the library and will be added to the library once you start playing them if iTunes is set as the default player.

I know that there are a bunch of free Mac-compatible 3rd-party mp3 players. Are there any that you are aware of that will play a sequence of mp3 files without having to create a playlist? I can download Vox from the App Store. Are you familiar with it?

No. My computer can't use the Mac App Store. I sometimes use COG. It creates its own short playlist but it is easy to delete it since it only exists in the player window.

Apr 16, 2014 2:39 PM in response to Limnos

I've got some more questions.

Is it possible to hook up an external hard drive that has lossless music files on it & use iTunes to rip them into mp3files?

I've been ripping my music CDs into mp3 files using iTunes. Most of my CDs are classical music. iTunes doesn't store related mp3 files in the same location. For example, I have all of Beethoven's 9 symphonies ripped into mp3 files. Even though all of the symphonies are conducted by the same person & performed by the same orchestra, iTunes will put some of the symphonies in a "compilation" folder or in a folder named after the orchestra or in a folder named after the conductor or in a folder named after a soloist. It's very frustrating & it makes me angry. I shouldn't have to hunt for the mp3 files after I rip the CD. Why does iTunes do that & is there a way to organize the mp3 files? I'm about to hunt for a mp3 ripper & use it as the default mp3 ripper instead of iTunes.

Apr 16, 2014 2:58 PM in response to macnerd48

I'm about to hunt for a mp3 ripper & use it as the default mp3 ripper instead of iTunes.

Go ahead. We have no specific loyalty to iTunes. People responding here are just other users like you. Probably Apple wouldn't care either since they make no money off you using iTunes to convert mp3s and yu using something other than iTunes for that won't affect the bottom line. I use XLD or Max.

As for where iTunes stores files, where they go depends upon how they are labeled and that service is provided by Gracenote which in turn gets some of its tags from users like you who, as life has it, are inconsistent. That goes double for classical recordings since the tags aren't really set up for classical music structure (plenty of complaints seen here in the past). So one person labels a CD putting composer in the artist field, and somebody else puts the orchestra there, and somebody else puts in the conductor. Thank your fellow classical music afficianados for things being scattered about.

Questions about iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.