Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to copy files across to external hard drive

I am trying to copy all of my important files across from my Mac HD to an external hard drive (with the longer term plan to delte the files from the Mac HD and work from the external HD that's backed up). Each time I attempt it I have encountered a problem: first it crashes or freezes. Then, I have an error that this file or that is being used (when all other applications are closed). Is drag and drop the best method? How can I do this smoothly? The total file size is large (846 GB) but I would hope it would transfer eventually without these problems. Please help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 7:34 AM

4 replies

Apr 3, 2014 7:47 AM in response to NickOs2014

Is the external drive formatted for Mac (Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition scheme?

Drag 'n drop is fine for some individual files, but not the entire contents of your drive.

If you are trying to copy your entire system, there are much better ways to do this:

1. If you want to boot from that drive (which you apparently will want to do), create a bootable clone on it from your system using either carboncopyclonter or SuperDuper (without that you will not be able to boot from it)

and/or

2. Use Time Machine - although that is not bootable, but it will back up your entire system. You can also restore from it, but do need to reinstall the OS, so you can't "run" from a TM backup.

Apr 3, 2014 7:55 AM in response to babowa

Thanks for the reply. The external drive is formatted for Mac OS Extended (Journaled) but I can't see the option for GUID Partition. Under RAID, my RAID type options are: Mirrored RAID set, Striped RAID set or Concatenated Disk Set. Do you know how I set this?

I have Super Duper and have tried copying the whole of the Mac HD across to ther external HD but encountered problems (perhaps caused by the above?). Could you let me know how to create a 'bootable clone' too? Many thanks

Apr 3, 2014 8:02 AM in response to NickOs2014

Hmmm, I've never had a RAID setup, so i can't help with that.

Without considering RAID, you need to highlight your external in Disk Utility and hit Partition tab - choose something other than what is shown (anything but current) and that will make the Options button available underneath. That is where you check for the GUID. You can then go back to your current partition scheme or set up 1, 2, whatever partitions you want.

As for bootable, both CCC and SD automatically create a bootable clone - I've never had to set up anything special.

Unable to copy files across to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.