Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Working on a Mac Encrypted (FileVault) remotely, how can I have the computer to restart without having to be there to log back in?

Whenever doing a software install, or a software update thorugh ARD, there are some that require a restart of the system. If working with a system remotely, and the user is not in front of the system, when the system shuts down and restart the FileVault login comes up, and requires someone to log back in. This screen is not seen by an administrator to be able to log back in.

Is there a better technique for getting this done?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 8:28 AM

I use the "authrestart" command to do an authorized restart... however, this only works with manual restarts, and not when you're installing system updates. This article explains how to do an authorized restart with FileVault 2: OS X: Macs that support authenticated restart with FileVault

Instead of using Software Update or the Mac App Store to install OS updates, instead use Terminal so the system doesn't automatically restart the Mac during system updates that require a restart. I run three commands to achieve your goal:

sudo softwareupdate --list

(to check and list all available updates)

sudo softwareupdate --install -a

(command to run ALL available updates) (you can research the command for how to install individual updates if you prefer)

sudo fdesetup authrestart

(authorized restart from within Terminal.)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 8:28 AM in response to ejrMac

I use the "authrestart" command to do an authorized restart... however, this only works with manual restarts, and not when you're installing system updates. This article explains how to do an authorized restart with FileVault 2: OS X: Macs that support authenticated restart with FileVault

Instead of using Software Update or the Mac App Store to install OS updates, instead use Terminal so the system doesn't automatically restart the Mac during system updates that require a restart. I run three commands to achieve your goal:

sudo softwareupdate --list

(to check and list all available updates)

sudo softwareupdate --install -a

(command to run ALL available updates) (you can research the command for how to install individual updates if you prefer)

sudo fdesetup authrestart

(authorized restart from within Terminal.)

Working on a Mac Encrypted (FileVault) remotely, how can I have the computer to restart without having to be there to log back in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.