Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scalable images/diagrams from Keynote pasted into Pages

Hello,

I've always needed a way to create resizeable diagrams built from shapes and text in Keynote, and then paste them into Pages. The major reason this is difficult is because if I just copy and paste the diagram as usual, the text elements don't resize in proportion with the image. I'm sure we're all familiar with those annoying + signs we get when the text box is no longer big enough to display the text.

Back in the day, I used to paste the diagram into a table cell as a background. Resizing the table cell would scale the diagram and text very fluidly. Then that was taken away.

So I figured out that if I copied the diagram from Keynote by grouping and then copying, I could use Preview to make a little pdf of the diagram. I just used "New from Clipboard", and got a pdf that included only the diagram, not a whole page of white space like you might get from printing. Because pdfs are resolution independent, I could paste this little pdf into Pages, and get smooth scaling of both text and figures.

The latest version of Preview and iWork gives me a tiff file when I use this procedure now. That's a raster format, so I'll get jaggies if I scale the diagram to too large a size. So my latest approach seems to have been taken away.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? That is, is there a way to make diagrams in keynote consisting of both shapes and text, and then place these diagrams into Pages so that the both text and shapes appear properly when the diagram is resized?

Thanks in advance for your help.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 9:54 AM

5 replies

Apr 3, 2014 10:30 AM in response to fruhulda

I'm on Pages 5.2 and Keynote 6.2. I've described above the approaches I took with previous versions of Pages. Whether that counts as "working well" is a bit of a judgement call. The workarounds I describe are really just ways of getting diagram text to scale in the same manner as the shapes. Perhaps the right way to fix this is to let the user specify when they want text to scale smoothly, and when they don't.

For now, I'm just looking for a workaround.

Apr 4, 2014 5:51 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

My solution to getting Keynote slides and images into Pages is to go through PDF. I export Keynote slides out to PDF. Then I drag and drop the PDFs into Pages. Because the art is vector and the text is post script, the images scale property in Pages.

Another very important a advantage of going from Keynote to Pages via PDFs is that art from Keynote can be read by Adobe Illustraor 6 and checked for no seeums. AI also has very powerful features for recoloring vector art.

I am using Pages 4. Extensive discussion by me and others in the forum should convince you that Pages 5 has proven to be highly defective and is a non-starter. Pages 4, on the other hand, is stable.

Scalable images/diagrams from Keynote pasted into Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.