Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What controls how soon a transition starts?

After activating a button there is a significant pause before the transition starts. I have a page flip setup, so haw can I make it so the transition starts as soon as I click on it?

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 11:20 AM

8 replies

Apr 4, 2014 11:16 AM in response to WilliamL

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking why your page peel transition has a delay in starting and how to make it start faster.

Normally, transitions start on their first frame, if you check your transition in Viewer you can verify this, just go to the beginning of the transition, hold down the right arrow and you can see the progress. Shortening the transition will make execute faster but not start faster.

What will make your transition start slowly is a slow machine. The interval between the time touch the button and the time FCP starts playing is a function of your system's responce time. Anything you do to increase system speed will probably reduce the delay you are seeing.

In general, it is best to start the system a few seconds before a transition or effect to assess its playback.

Apr 5, 2014 8:46 AM in response to WilliamL

Sorry, that's the nature of the beast. On the mac, you can probably hear the dvd drive cranking away when you click on a button on your dvd. There are some techniques that can place things on areas of the dvd that access quicker than others. You'll have to do some research on this. I don't remember the details.

If you do a build to a local hard drive and then use the mac dvd player to open the dvd media, you'll probably get a much faster response.

And unfortunately, every dvd player is going to react differently.

Apr 8, 2014 8:07 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

Michael Grenadier wrote:

fyi, I'm pretty sure what dvdsp is doing is actually creating media of the transition so when you click on the button, it's got to go to find media on dvd so there's always going to be a hiccup or pause of some sort. DVD players to not generate the transitions on the fly.

I like this analysis except that I don't think DVDSP is generating the transition on-the-fly either... it is compiled during the Build.

I'm suggesting that DVDSP has to go to the DVD drive (which transfers data way slower than a hard drive) and load the buffer before playback can commence.

What I wonder is how you figured out it was a DVDSP problem from the original post... 😉

Apr 8, 2014 8:25 AM in response to RatVega™

I took an informed guess cause it didn't make sense in any other context. One of the first lessons I think you need to learn when you start authoring dvd's is that almost all reactions to menu clicks or remote control clicks are going to vary enormously depending on the individual player and the whims of the gods. I know there are ways of optomizing the physical location of files on the dvd for playback that may optomize certain actions, Just haven't fooled around with it.

What controls how soon a transition starts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.