Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to format a second hard drive in a MacBook Pro?

I put a SSD in my MacBook Pro and I am wondering what is the best way to format the hard drive that i am putting in the place of the optical drive. I could set it put in raid configuration but I'm pretty sure that it takes the speed from the slower drive. Making my upgrade pointless. Should I put the hard drive in and format it to Mac OS extended (journaled). Is this my best option. Will i only be able to put applications on the second hard drive or will i only be able to put on files such as media, word docs ect.?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Macbook Pro i5 2.5ghz 13" Mid 2012

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 10:35 AM

2 replies

Apr 3, 2014 11:33 AM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Hello,

I read some of your responces to other computer issues. Do you have any thoughts that may help my situation. I posted this earlier. I try to use my OS X HD to reinstall but I only get so far and I am told install can't go any further.

Detailed Discription;

Everything is running-phizz-black screen

Start button-enter password-gray bar at bottom of screen-

Gray bar fills 1/4 - computer shuts off

So I looked around on wifes computer and find a few sequences to try and fix.

didn't work.

So I am here now after accessing reinstall from my os x disc and a couple other discs to choose from.

Nothing is working-need help

Past history;

from the begining my mac never carried a charge. Then it stopped charging completely.

I just lived with it-but now this-christ man it ticks me off.

Anyways I would appreciate all the hel I could get, thanks

Thank You

Best way to format a second hard drive in a MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.