Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I received a refurbished MBA today. I have my original files on Time Machine from my first computer with 2 accounts/profiles/users. I want to make migration of those files easy, but change the name of one of the profiles on the MBA.Things I should know?

I have not set up the New-to-me MBA yet.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 11:14 AM

10 replies

Apr 4, 2014 5:56 AM in response to triggcarriero

Changing an account name can be easy or very hard depending on how much you want to change. Seethis article for details. And this article isn't complete because it doesn't deal with complete change: changing your long name, short name, and user directory name. (If that last sentence is g(r)eek to you it shouldn't be after you've read the article.

Short answer: Migrate to the new computer and then follow the instructions to change a user account. Creating an alias is the easiest solution if you can live with it.

Apr 4, 2014 10:17 AM in response to dwb

Thanks so much for that article, however, I think that article is more confusing, since it says that there are 2 names, and then throughout the article refers to at least 4, and I am not 100% sure that was what I am after... So, maybe I am not asking correctly.... let me give more details here..

I had a late 2008 Macbook with 2 "profiles" (work/home) (not sure which 'names' these would be) that was consistently backed up to an external HDD via Time Machine through my wifi network at home. I had upgraded the OS to Mavericks and the "Latest" backup was backed up in Mavericks. This computer was stolen a couple weeks back. I have now purchaed an Apple refurbished macbook air and received it recently and have not even taken it out of the packaging. I assume that it is running Mavericks, but don't know that for sure. Thus, I have not created any new accounts on the new device yet. I want to migrate my backed up files from the external HDD and re-establish 2 'profiles', however, one of the "names" I'd like to change for the new machine. So part of my issue is not knowing what the differences are between, "short names", "display names", "user account names", "profile names", and "home directory names". I know that some of these refer to the same thing, but I am unsure which is which.

What I remember about my old machine was this... When I looked at the Users folder, there were three folders listed within it, "Shared", "work-name", "home-name". I assume these are what's refered to as "home directory names" since they were all lowercase, all one word. When I turned on the computer, the "profiles" that showed up for login had different words than these listed, let's say, "work" and "home".

What I want is for the "work" profile and "work-name" directory to stay the same, and the "home" profile name to stay the same while the "home-name" directory name changes to something else.

I've read many posts now, and haven't found the clear cut example of what I am attempting to do. Some say to create a dummy admin account on the new machine, use Migration Assistance to bring the backed-up files over to the new-to-me MBA, with the two profile names as they existed. In the dummy admin account somehow make changes to the one account I want to change, and then after restart, remove the dummy admin account. I found numerous posts indicating that this may result in permissions problems, which I do not want to have to debug. I'm a decent computer geek, but not a full on superuser.

Other options I've read indicate to plug the external HDD directly into the new machine at first start up and use the Setup Assistant and transfer the info that way. Again however, I then have the issue of one of the names, I'd like changed.

While typing this I found.....

Each user in Mac OS X has a full "Name" and a "Short Name" as defined in the Users pane of System Preferences. The short name can contain up to 255 lowercase characters with no spaces. This is the name used to create a user's home directory (also known as the user's Home or Home folder) in the Users folder.

This is from ealier versions of the OS, so I am not even sure if this is Mavericks friendly or not.

Apr 4, 2014 11:25 AM in response to triggcarriero

I was just about to say the same thing Eustace did. The article I posted shows the way to do two thirds of what you want.

To explain the 'names'

When you create an account you give it a name. That's the long name, so called because it is typically a person's full name which is much longer than you'd want to type in every day to log in etc. An example might be "Peter J Principle"

From your long name the computer creates a smaller short name in all lowercase (but you can over-ride it). An example might be "pprinciple" but you might choose "pete" instead.

Your home directory would be the same as your short name.

By default when you associate your account with an AppleID you have an alias which is your AppleID. You can create more if you like. Mine are my initials.

Those are the 4 names the article refered to.

Apr 4, 2014 4:52 PM in response to dwb

Well all, I bit the bullet and did the Setup Assistant thingy by plugging the external HDD to the new machine. All files came over no problem. (I have not attempted the change username issue yet) because, I noticed that in my dock in both profiles, I have many question marks in the places where I used to have applications that I've loaded. I guess, I have to reinstall all of those....?????

If yes, bummer. Firefox, Google Drive, Fetch, iWeb (which no longer exists, so now I cannot update my website anymore), Microsoft products (which I'm guessing, I've now just lost my licensing for), Open Office, Skype, specific folders I created, etc.....

If not, where to find them?

More to this than any post alluded to.

Apr 5, 2014 2:51 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

Perhaps I had not backed up my applications folder, since all of the applications that were not Mac already are missing.....

Fetch, Firefox, Microsoft Office stuff... etc.....

From some Mac article way back... in order to save on backup space and speed, I think I set exculsions to the backup of /Applications, and /Library/Caches, iTunes Music, etc...

Poop. So I am assuming then for the things that are free and downloadable, I can re-install those (Fetch, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc....) but for the Microsoft Office stuff..... If I reinstall with my original disks, will my license still work? I guess I'll end up trying it anyhow, but if there is no way or it will mess things up worse, then I won't waste my time.

Apr 5, 2014 3:07 PM in response to triggcarriero

If I reinstall with my original disks, will my license still work?

Yes for MS Office, but you may have to get in touch with MS and jump through hoops. Small consolation, but even if MS Office did transfer you probably would have to go through some strange routines to get it working on the new Mac. (For example the MS rep I spoke to told me I had to pay $75 for help with the re-installation!)

Firefox and Open Office are free. Fetch, I do not know.

I received a refurbished MBA today. I have my original files on Time Machine from my first computer with 2 accounts/profiles/users. I want to make migration of those files easy, but change the name of one of the profiles on the MBA.Things I should know?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.