Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Beachball, Freeze Fixed Solution

Last 3 days, I have been dealing with my Mid-2012 Macbook Pro to find out why suddenly stated feezing, and beachballing. "My macbook warranty expired."

What happened was when I wake up my Macbook Pro from sleep, it was frozen and couldnt do anything, so I push to power button feww times to reboot again. When the Macbook boot up, my macbook was freezing and beachballing when I click on any application, finder, safari, and it took long time to open them. It was almost impossible to use, everything was so slow. I was thinking this would be an issue with my hard drive which is a Sandisk 250GB SSD. i will write the steps that I did in order to help someone who had a problem like this.

1) I did PRAM, in order to find out if the problem with the system. (i did not work)

2) I open up the macbook, take the battery cable out and push the power button 10 seconds to reset everything (it did not work)

3) I went to disk utility using my bootable USB, and thought that this would be a marericks issue, erased, then freshed installed mavericks again, while I was installing it was taking so long and apple logo with scrooling wheel took also long but at the end, i was able to setup the OS, But no luck system act the same as before. (it did not work)

4) I though it would be a SSD issue since I bought it a year ago so I use some programs to check the heath of the SSD which appeared normal, no error. at disk utility I did a repair permission to the disk, everything worked fine, So I contact with Sandisk to get my SSD replaced since I could not find any solution.

5) I install my original hard drive 500gb, formatted and did a clean install, boom, it was acting normal no freezening no beachball until I wen to work and came back from home and awake my macbook, it started doing that again. I was thinking this hard drive also has something wrong after formating 5 times and reinistalling the mavericks again also I did the 1st and 2nd steps again. (it did not work)

6) I bought a new hard drive from bestbuy and asked them about the return policy because I just wanted to try with another hard drive to make sure hard drivers are ok and there is different problem. I bought a 320gb WD HD and formated and installed, at the beggining worked and a day later it become the same again. (it did not work)

7) i read lot of topics on problems like this and I found out this could be a hard drive cable or logic board problem, So I checked online and saw many topics and videos about hard drive cable symptoms and found out, people who had a empty file screen at start up. So I was having that very rare and my computer was working so I was thinking hard drive cable was fine. So in order to diagnose and make sure if its the cable problem. (it did not work)

I took my original macbook hard driver and put it in an external hard drive case and boot the computer from the usb so I would be able to see if it is the case since I took the hard drive out of the macbook pro and I took the hard drive cable too. I boot the computer and everyhitng just worked fine no freezen no, beachball anymore so I think the problem is the cable, I ordered new one from ebay and still waiting to come. I am %99 sure that it is the cable otherwise, my macbook wouldnt work with usb connected hard drive.

I know I wrote too long but I just wanted help other people to fix this problem if they had, I spent so many hours to find out so maybe this solution would help you to fix your macbook faster without spending too much time like me.

When I recieve the cable I will try and than let you know if it works or not but I am positive that it will work.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 11:13 AM

10 replies

Apr 3, 2014 11:30 AM in response to Tolu87

If you have access to an Apple store, I would make a Genius Bar appointment and have them run hardware diagnostics on it. They won't charge you for diagnostics, even with expired warranty (never hurts to verify that first of course). They should be able to detect a Logic Board or other hardware problem and give you a quote for repair.

Apr 3, 2014 11:41 AM in response to Andy-J-D

Yes I tried the apple hardware test, probobly it cheked everyhitng, I believe it is the cable which causes everhing, this saturday or next monday I will get the hard drive cable and see if it is the fixed because there is nothing else left to check, or go to apple store to use whatever mashine they use to check.

Apr 3, 2014 11:53 AM in response to BobRz

Thanks BobRz,

I will definetely uptade this topic after I uptate the cable. The thing is if the system would not boot at all. I would definetely think its is the cable but it was booting sometimes but it was freezen when it was operating so actually extrernal enclosure made me relax otherwise I was going to think it was logic board issue.

Macbook Pro Beachball, Freeze Fixed Solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.