Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail e-mails no longer downloading to Mail 4.6

Hi there,

I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and have Mail 4.6. I've never had problems with it before, but recently I've had issues missing Gmail e-mails on iOS Mail on my iPhone, so I followed the instructions in this thread to resolve it:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3543095

Essentially, I marked all my e-mails with a new label, archived everything, moved everything back to inbox. I then loaded up iOS Mail on my phone, and all my missing Gmail e-mails came back. However, from that point on, Apple Mail 4.6 on my iMac will no longer download any Gmail messages I've received since then. I can send e-mails, just nothing turns up in my inbox. If it helps, I have it set up as IMAP. I also have a laptop (Lion) with a newer version of Mail. That one has no problems downloading the latest messages, just my desktop app. I even removed the Gmail account and re-added it...but am experiencing the same problem - it no longer downloads any e-mails from after the point of the archiving fix I did. Perhaps there's a proper, full way of deleting the acocunt off my computer? I just removed it and re-added it in Mail.

Any idea why I'm experiencing this problem and how to go about resolving it?

Many thanks.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 11" 1.8Ghz Core i7 256GB

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 11:48 AM

10 replies

Apr 5, 2014 3:02 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the response. When I check connection doctor, it shows the following:

Connection status: Mail was able to connect to the internet

Account name:

- Gmail - connection and login to server succeeded

- smtp.gmail.com:myusername@gmail.com - trying to login to this SMTP account failed. Verify that the username and password are correct

- smtp.gmail.com:myusername - connection and login to server succeeded

I'm not sure why it shows three sets of data under account name, because I only have one account. I know I'm definitely using the correct username and password. I even used Mail to send an e-mail the other day, but the thing is , it's not showing in my Mail sent box. However, when I log into Gmail on the web, it appears in the sent folder.

Any other help / advice would be appreciated.

Apr 8, 2014 12:23 PM in response to dianeoforegon

dianeoforegon - double checked this, re-entered password, still no dice

Eric - I've already done this, was wondering if there's another more permanent way of doing this because it seems to remember all of the e-mails I have up to the point they stopped coming in when I re-add the account (without needing to download them).

Thanks for the replies.

EDIT: I've just tried removing and re-adding the account. I deleted the account via preferences, and my computer's innards made quite a bit of noice, as if it was working rather hard. My Mail inbox went empty. The noise stopped, and I then received an error message (I forget exactly what, asking me to restart Mail). Upon restart, I was prompted to enter my account details. I did, and it verified my username and password okay. I then got taken to an empty mailbox. However, within a minute or two, my most recent e-mails began downloading. In fact, it's still downloading now (I've had Gmail since 2004 or I think, so lots to download).

I'm hoping it's going to be okay now, will post again in here if it doesn't work out. Once again, thank you for all of your help and advice, it's most appreciated.

Gmail e-mails no longer downloading to Mail 4.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.