Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dragging files from Finder

I just noticed that although my import settings are set to copy files into the FCPX folder, when I choose to drag a file into the timeline from Finder, it still refers to the file location in the finder and does not copy it to the correct folder. I had no idea that this would not be the case, so kind of annoying. Is there a way to not do this, or is it just that dragging from the Finder is not the way to import? I just find it easier to do sometimes.

And having done this, is there an easy way to consolidate the media so that any that is not in the correct destination folder gets moved to where it should be?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 3.4 GHz, Fusion drive

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 11:58 AM

7 replies

Apr 3, 2014 2:59 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom. I have 10.1.1. There is indeed a Consolidate menu item, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Here's what I do: I chose an item which I know I dragged in. I check where it is by using "show in Finder" and indeed, it is not in the library as I had hoped. So then go and select the project file I am working on in order to turn the Consolidate menu itme from grey to black. I then select that and I get a window that asks if I want to consolidate into the library I am using, which I do, so hit okay.

I then check again by using "show in Finder" and it has not moved or copied the item at all. Still in the Finder where it was before. Here is the import prefs I have set, as requested.

User uploaded file

Apr 3, 2014 11:04 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes, it's full of stuff. The project has about 1200 jpeg images and audio. It's a storyboard animatic. One more bit of important info on this: The images I import are on a local networked iMac, so I go to that folder, logged in as a registered user, and I import the images. I have been doing this for months with no issue. Now, all of a sudden, this problem of it not going into the library, but only referencing the images in the folder on the remote iMac. If I copy the same images to my computer and then import them, it does it as it should, so it's something about using a remote computer, which I should be able to to.

Also, wonder why consolidating does not fix it as well. Isn't it supposed to do that?

Dragging files from Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.