Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maps app on iPhone5 with iOS 7.1 is not announcing directions with sound turned on

My Maps app has stopped announcing directions. iPhone 5, iOS 7.1 with latest updates. Location services is turned on. Sounds are turned on. Volume is set to Loud in the Maps app. Cellular Data is turned on for Maps. I tried resetting my phone per the instructions online and nothing has helped so far. Any ideas?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 11:57 AM

15 replies

Apr 5, 2014 1:30 PM in response to bcoop17

The sound button is not on orange.

My phone is paired with a JBL mini Bluetooth speaker at home, but when I am travelling in my car Bluetooth is turned off. I am not trying to use Bluetooth for the Maps app. I just want my iPhone5 to announce the directions through its own internal speakers, which it used to do just fine. And now it does not.

Apr 5, 2014 3:55 PM in response to alp1116

After much trial and error I finally figured this out. It has to do with the starting location. The starting location must be "Current Location" in order for Maps to announce turn-by-turn directions. In other words you have to start by entering your destination address, and then select "directions to here", which sets the from location to "current location". I had dropped a pin on my home, which is the same starting address as "current location", so should have given me the same result, but for some reason when you type in the actual address of your current location for the starting location, it does not activate the voice control for turn-by-turn navigation. I have tried this two or three times and every time when I enter the starting location, Maps does not announce directions, but when I let it calculate my current location it does. Even when location services are turned on for Maps in both cases. Can't understand the logic here or why Aplle would program it this way, but it is what it is. If anyone else is having this issue, I hope this helps.

May 25, 2014 12:41 PM in response to alp1116

I, too, encounter no voice directions (seems like no sound) when I share a route (from my Mac) and pick it up on my iPhone. alp1116 is right.

I may be help to think of two kinds of shared routes. One is just for viewing (like you might send to a friend or yourself when you don't intend to use it for turn-by-turn directions). The other is for using with voice for turn-by-turn directions.

Another way to activite the voice direction (from the shared route) is: click the Overview, so you can see the destination. On the destination label, is a blue car icon, touch it. That will start the voice directions (probably by re-setting the origin from an address to "current location"). It's a simple way to force iPhone Maps to change to voice directions.

Maps app on iPhone5 with iOS 7.1 is not announcing directions with sound turned on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.