Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerBook G4 A1013 does not start up.

Hi! Trying to fix a PowerBook G4 A1013 for a friend and reading various other posts I think the Logic Board is Kaput...If I plug in the power adapter there is no response with the power button or any lights....nothing, well nearly nothing as the cooling fans spin up to various speeds but that is all. It is the same with or without battery. I was hoping someone can confirm the Logic board is the cause before I try and buy another one....Thanks in advance.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.1)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 12:45 PM

5 replies

Apr 3, 2014 5:06 PM in response to Brownsboy

Is the main battery charging? My old PowerbookG4 17 1Ghz will not start from A/C until the main battery has some charge. It has to do with the little internal backup battery, the majority of which are stone dead in Powerbooks after all these years.

If the main batteryis dead, that can make teh cmputer look dead.

One option, assume you can get some charge into the main battery, is to charge the main one, remove it and let the computer sit unused for 24-48 hours on wall power. That can get a bit of charge into the internal backup battery. The reinsert the main battery and try again. If nothing happens immediately, wait. Mine acts dead but will actually start 3-10 minutes later after the main battery gets a little "juice."

Apr 4, 2014 11:04 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Allen, thanks for reply....I have no idea of main battery, as you say it's probably dead or close to it. I will leave ac power plugged in for tonight and see in the morning. I assumed the internal battery would be like the one on a computer mainboard to store the cmos settings, is that the case? Anyhow I'm not really holding out much hope.

Regards Rob.

Apr 5, 2014 8:10 AM in response to Brownsboy

I assumed the internal battery would be like the one on a computer mainboard to store the cmos settings, is that the case?

Yes, except in the PowerBook it is solderd to the right-hand USB board. New replacement batteries are only available for 17-inch models with 1.67gHz processors--yours is a 1Ghz. Everything else out there is used, and buying a used battery is like buying used chewing gum--you don't know where it's been and it wont last very long.

By "Main Battery" I'm refering to the user detachable battery on the bottom of the case that provides all the power when the computer is off the mains:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+G4+Aluminum+17-Inch+1-1.67+GHz+Battery+Rep lacement/241

Apr 5, 2014 12:15 PM in response to Brownsboy

There are a few sources for a replacement main battery, in so much as the tiny PRAM battery is harder one to replace; due to where it is located and the kind of trouble getting into there can be.

You can also get a new/replacement correct main battery, here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple_laptop/batteries/PowerBook_G4_17

The PRAM battery and replacement USB board are covered in iFixit guide:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+G4+Aluminum+17-Inch+1-1.67+GHz+PRAM+Batter y+%26+USB+Board+Replacement/249

Also, the DC-in board may be suspect in charging issues, if the charger

and battery are both OK. So that's a third or forth item to consider...

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+G4+Aluminum+17-Inch+1-1.67+GHz+DC-In+Board +Replacement/255

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 5, 2014 2:26 PM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks Guys for all the hints and tips but, bottom line is an Apple different hardware wise to any other Laptop other than the little nuances??? If you apply power to it and it doesn't come on then I assume if the DC jack the charger & power button are OK and I'm sure they are, then the Logic(main) Board is U/S?

I can only get a used board from the States and I'm trying to acertain if this is what I need to do before spending friend(clients) money before doing so...Incidentally had DC power connected for over 24hrs and so far nothing? 😐

Thanks and regards Rob

PowerBook G4 A1013 does not start up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.