Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions issue on one particular folder on SMB server?

I just upgraded to Mavericks. I'm connected to an smb server and one folder in particular is giving me trouble. I am unable to save to it and I am unable to create a new folder within it. I tried to log in using cifs and tried out a couple Terminal commands but nothing has worked. I know nothing about Terminal, but here are the terminal commands I've tried:

echo "[default]" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf; echo "smb_neg=smb1_only" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf

Source: http://cammodude.blogspot.co.uk/

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server VirtualAdminShares -bool YES

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5038
I was unable to do the server restart after this

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server AclsEnabled -bool YES

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4149

My coworkers uses the same login as me and they are able to save and create new folders. The folder I'm having problems with is called "NEW Master Design". I tried saving and creating new folders in "After work parties" and I was able to do so successfully. Here are some screencaps:

GET INFO:

User uploaded file

NEW FOLDER:

User uploaded file

TRYING TO SAVE:

User uploaded file

SERVER MAP:

User uploaded file

Your help is greatly appreciated 😎

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 2:41 PM

6 replies

Apr 3, 2014 5:53 PM in response to stephmilovic

Firstly the password dialog screenshot points to errors on your system, it looks like this other thread to me, so perhaps you have the Lucida font installed incorrectly…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5572978?answerId=23827128022#23827128022&ac_cid=tw123456#23827128

Secondly your info dialog crops out the permissions which is the important part 🙂

Are you simply hoping to revert the Terminal commands on your Mac?

The second & third command can be undone by setting them to NO (or false)…

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server VirtualAdminShares -bool NO

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server AclsEnabled -bool NO

The first one pushed some text into a config file, you can either open that file in TextEdit or use another editor to delete the text, it should be the last line. Just be sure to leave it as a plain text document and it should be OK.

[default]

Are the coworkers also on 10.9 too?

I don't really know enough about SMB on 10.9, so hopefullly others will help you, but I figured you needed to know about the font issue.

Apr 3, 2014 5:59 PM in response to Drew Reece

Yeah I just had to completely wipe my computer and reinstall Mavericks because my second display wouldn't stop flickering, so I did install new fonts. And no, I didn't crop the permissions out. That's where the Get Info ends. I don't have any permissions options besides what you see there ("You have custom access").

I'm not really trying to do anything with the Terminal commands but fix my issue. Should I be reverting those commands?

Yes, we're all on 10.9.2

Thanks!

Apr 4, 2014 9:13 AM in response to stephmilovic

I don't know what to suggest your system appears to be in a state…

It's possible you have failing hardware, so you may want to boot into recovery mode & see if the disk reports lots of errors via verify & repair in Disk Utility.

These '… don't have permission to …' dialogs are normal when you don't have the correct permission, so it is worth checking & comparing everything about how you login to the server on each working & non-working Mac. Also consider if the local users are admin's or have the same username as the server accounts.

Illustrator is another issue, does it open when you click it's Application icon?

Permissions issue on one particular folder on SMB server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.