Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has all my music disappeared from my itunes library?

My music is all there on my iPod but when I plug into my computer I can't see anything listed in my iTunes library. I have had this problem before but managed to synch it but now I can't get it to work. I am using a different computer if that makes a difference.

iPod nano (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 2:26 PM

3 replies

Apr 3, 2014 2:49 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks. 🙂

My next question then is, I do not have my old computer any longer (sigh!), so how do I get them to appear into my library? I have done it before so I know it is possible but I can't remember how I did it other than I wiped all my music off and had to manually add them (I was not very happy about it as you can imagine). I can't do that this time since I haven't got the music on anything other than my ipod. (I know, silly me). Is there away I can back-up my music while I am at it?

Apr 5, 2014 1:21 AM in response to stepmatthews

For some reason, I did not see that you had replied to my reply (usually get an email notification), so sorry about the delay.

iTunes syncing is generally in one direction only, from the computer's iTunes library to the iPod (and that is by design). You cannot use iTunes to transfer song files from iPod to computer, except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store. However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links. (The CNET article seems to be popular.)

Once the song files are on your computer's drive, you can add them to your new iTunes library. After confirming everything is there, you can then sync your iPod to that iTunes library.

Why has all my music disappeared from my itunes library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.