Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I permanently turn off the repeat function on the iPod on my iphone4s.

I use the ipod for audio books, and it seems to default to repeat playlist. That doesnt work for a book!! How do I turn it off permanently?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 4:02 AM

Jay Ray, let me try again. You are not understanding me, but perhaps someone else out there can help. The repeat playlist setting appears to be the default in the music app. I want to change the default setting. How can I do that? I never play any songs.i have no songs loaded. I want to change the default settings. Is that possible?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2014 4:02 AM in response to Jay-Ray

Jay Ray, let me try again. You are not understanding me, but perhaps someone else out there can help. The repeat playlist setting appears to be the default in the music app. I want to change the default setting. How can I do that? I never play any songs.i have no songs loaded. I want to change the default settings. Is that possible?

Jun 6, 2017 7:27 AM in response to lapt

This is still a problem...using iPhone 7plus.

I am also looking for an answer on this. As a music listener, this ANNOYING default setting is enough to jailbreak my phone. Albums, which is the primary way I listen to music, should not repeat automatically. It's obnoxious. As far as I have been able to figure out, there is no way to change this default setting. Anyone?

To revisit the problem posted by the OP, 'Repeat' is the default setting on Apple Music. If I turn it off for the particular album I'm listening to and then return to apple music tomorrow, the default 'Repeat' setting it back on. There must be a solution to the idiotic setting.

I understand why apple did this, as most people consume music by random playlists and individual songs and don't want the music to stop. It's unfortunate that people that actually still listen to albums have to deal with this. When I finish an album, I want it to end. Not repeat back to song 1.

Anyone have a solution other than turn it off every time I listen to an album?

Apr 3, 2014 5:41 PM in response to lapt

The songs and audiobooks share the same space and controls on the iPhone/iPod. If you play an audiobook and turn on 2X Speed, then go play a song instead, it will play the song at 2X Speed although this is not an option for songs.

Likewise, repeat Playlist, if turned on while playing a song, will have the same effect on the audiobooks if not turned off.

Play a song form a playlist, then tap Repeat Playlist and turn off Repeat.

Apr 3, 2014 7:14 PM in response to lapt

They are not individual settings. Example: If you play a song and choose to repeat songs, no matter what song you play this option is now on. If you change it to Repeat Playlist/Repeat Artist, every song you play will now suddenly be changed to this option. If you change it to Repeat Off while playing any song, Repeat will be off no matter what song, playlist, artist, album, or audiobook you play, until you turn it on again.

I think you are thinking that each song or playlist carries it's own repeat setting when in fact it is all the same.

Example: I am listening to my music today and listening to audiobooks as well with no repeat options on. Tomorrow, I decide to play a certain workout playlist and so I turn on Repeat Playlist. When I am done listening, I pause the music and go on about my day (I forgot to turn off Repeat Playlist). The next day, I wake up and start listening to an Audiobook. Suddenly I realize it's repeating, which is not cool. I then remember I forgot to turn off Repeat the last time I was listing to music. So, I go play a song real quick, turn off Repeat, then go back to my audiobook and carry on listening with no issues.

How do I permanently turn off the repeat function on the iPod on my iphone4s.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.