4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2014 1:34 PM by Carolyn Samit
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

For YEARS, I was cussing out numerous websites because they didn't perform as I thought they should. I never even dreamed that the problem might be with Safari; then, someone suggested that I try trashing some Safari Preferences. I did, and suddenly I owed all of those websites an apology. Safari had been the bad guy for all of those years. Anyway because of this experience, I now suspect that I have to perform another fix on Safari; however, I don't dare to just go in and start trashing. When I fixed Safari before, it was under the guidance of an Apple technician, and I can't remember which Preferrences I trashed, So, what I'd like now is some gjuidance on the subject. Which preferences should I trash and what should I avoid? I might add that when  Apple helped me before, I was enrolled in the Apple Protection Plan, but it has now expired. I can still go back, but it wil cost me $19.00 this time, That's not an awful lot, and I know that they will be able to help me fix the problem, but I thought I'd try here first.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (100,440 points)

What exactly is the problem with Safari? It may not related to preferences.

• Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

It may not, but I think it is. Remember, I have had the same problem before with Safari. It doesn't mean that Safari is a bad product. Any program can become corrupted. Anyway, since you ask, it's just that a website that I have gone to and used for years no longer responds when I use Safari, but it works just fine with Opera. Safari-no, Opera--yes. I think that means something. I think it means that somethiing has happened to Safari. I think it has become corrupted. Trashing Preferences fixes that, but there are manyPreferences, and I just want to be sure that I trash the right one.

• Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

Carolyn Samit wrote:

What exactly is the problem with Safari? It may not related to preferences.

Okay, this time the problem wasn't Safari's fault. I just spent 80 minutes with Apple's

telephone service and the problem has now been fixed. This call wasn't the only one, but this call finally solved the problem. Exactly what the problem was, I can't say, but the important thing is that Edward fixed it. I did get another advisor to help me to delete a Safari plist preference but, unlike my previous experience, it didn't help this time, so I guess there are many ways the same bad results can be achieved.

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (100,440 points)

Hi ..

Glad you were able to get it worked out Niku !!