Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Connect to a Computer that is Using a Mac's Internet Sharing Feature?

I've recently aqquired a computer (running Linux Ubuntu) that is kind of old has has no wifi capabilites, so I'm using my Mac's Internet Sharing, and connecting my Linux to the Mac. There is no other way to connect to my local network.

However, I wish to run a local server on the Linux so that other computers connected to the network my Mac is connected to can access this Linux. While my Mac successfully does this, and my Linux successfully connects to the Mac, other computers connected to the network cannot connect to the Linux.

I know why. When I share my internet from Wifi to Ethernet, the Mac creates its own separate network.

What do I do to allow other computers to connect to my Linux?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Model of 2008

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 5:58 PM

3 replies

Apr 3, 2014 9:45 PM in response to iTryFreeApps

Get a real router or get a wifi card for the Linux box.

You can try to fiddle with the Mac's internal networking to make the ethernet bridge for all wifi clients, but frankly that is headache & a bad idea for anything that is going to 'serve' other users. You really don't want to go through another machine if you can help it, especially as there will be latency in Wifi already.

Running a server on wifi will be slow, you'd be better with ethernet.

What are you hoping to share from the Linux machine, how many clients you expecting?

How to Connect to a Computer that is Using a Mac's Internet Sharing Feature?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.