Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting personal files on a water damaged mac?

I'm selling my water damaged MacBook Pro and was just wondering if anyone knew exact key files to delete as I've removed the hard drive and used a sata drive to extract and access the files. I'm more interested in any log ins and passwords such as key chain which might be accessible. Cheers

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 6:13 PM

6 replies

Apr 3, 2014 7:41 PM in response to skot690

If you've removed the hard drive, then what other information are you expecting to be on your computer? Your hard drive is the storage media where passwords etc. are stored. And, without a hard drive, there is no OS either, so no one can log in or do anything.

Are you selling it without a hard drive?

Apr 3, 2014 8:25 PM in response to skot690

If you plan on putting the drive back in then just use Disk Utility and erase and format the drive.

Then physically re-install it into the water damaged system.. As noted above supply the original DVDs (if the system was shipped with 10.6 or earlier). If the system came with Lion or later the new owner, if they get it working, can use Internet recovery to install the OS.

You will still need to deauthorize the computer from iTunes see http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1420 for directions on how to deauthorize a computer that is no longer working.

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano

Deleting personal files on a water damaged mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.