Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it bad if my Mac gets to 60° C?

When ever I play the sims 3 my mac mini gets to 60° C (140° F) Is that bad? I was trying to google it, but came out with two answers. Either it is normal and fine for it to get that hot, or it will damage the CPU if it gets that hot within a few days. My mac mini is brand new (bought it last Saturday) so it's a late 2012 with 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 of RAM, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB. The sims runs fine on it. Thanks for any help!

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 10:36 PM

60ºc isn't terrible as long as it isn't for extended periods. I render video and my processor hits as high as 72º for about ten to twenty minutes at a time. I don't know anyone who only plays Sims3 for 20 minutes at a shot, though.

Sims3 is pretty tough on Macs, because it runs via Wine (a Windows emulator). That makes rendering the video take twice as much processor as it would if they'd build a Mac specific version, but that isn't going to happen.

It's one of the reasons I won't play Sims3 on my Mac Mini.

You can install SMC fan control (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol) and set a high speed setting for when you play Sims3 (about 2600rpm will help a little).

Also, reducing the game resolution, and turning off details & reflections will lighten the load on your system.

I use my Mac for work, so I can't afford to "cook it" for a game... and that's why I no longer have Sims3 installed.

And check your system profiler again... If you've only got 4Gb system RAM in a Late 2012 Mini... you don't have 1024Mb VRAM. It's 512Mb "out of the box". I never saw a full gig till I bumped the Mini up to 16Gb. 8Gb only took me from 512Mb to 768Mb.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2014 10:36 PM in response to atomicgram

60ºc isn't terrible as long as it isn't for extended periods. I render video and my processor hits as high as 72º for about ten to twenty minutes at a time. I don't know anyone who only plays Sims3 for 20 minutes at a shot, though.

Sims3 is pretty tough on Macs, because it runs via Wine (a Windows emulator). That makes rendering the video take twice as much processor as it would if they'd build a Mac specific version, but that isn't going to happen.

It's one of the reasons I won't play Sims3 on my Mac Mini.

You can install SMC fan control (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol) and set a high speed setting for when you play Sims3 (about 2600rpm will help a little).

Also, reducing the game resolution, and turning off details & reflections will lighten the load on your system.

I use my Mac for work, so I can't afford to "cook it" for a game... and that's why I no longer have Sims3 installed.

And check your system profiler again... If you've only got 4Gb system RAM in a Late 2012 Mini... you don't have 1024Mb VRAM. It's 512Mb "out of the box". I never saw a full gig till I bumped the Mini up to 16Gb. 8Gb only took me from 512Mb to 768Mb.

Apr 3, 2014 11:23 PM in response to C F McBlob

You might want to give > Macs Fan Control a shot. I like it way better than smcFanControl because you don't have to fuss with checking temp's or adjusing the speed for different activities.

User uploaded file

I run dual monitors on my 2010 Mini and from time to time give it a pretty good work out. The way I have it setup, it never goes much over 160 F even when I run demanding CPU or Graphic's programs.

Apr 4, 2014 2:52 AM in response to atomicgram

It depends on what is being measured as being 60 degrees.

If it is one of the CPU sensors, which are most important for

it, then that is merely tepid and is really of no concern.

The Intel processors used in the Mini are spec'ed to run at up to

95 degrees C as measured on the processor. According

to the Intel site, if they get much hotter than that, the processor

is supposed to start throtlling down.

For what ever reason (and also suggested on the Intel site) is

that forced cooling should not be needed until temps approach

that value and seems to be how Apple sets their fan action

threshold.

Personally, I think that is silly and I use Fan Control which lets

you set a minimum fan speed, a temperature threshold for when

it starts to ramp up, and the temperature at which it will go to

full speed.

Is it bad if my Mac gets to 60° C?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.