Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2006 intel iMac operating system?

I have a 2006 intel iMac. It's the very first intel iMac, the one that's white. The specs are 1.8 Ghz, 2 gb of ram, Intel core 2 duo. I am wondering what operating system I should run on it. I bought it two months ago and it has Snow Leopard (10.6.8), but was wondering if I should run Leopard (10.5) just for basic usage like email, internet, iWork and iLife. I have the disc for it, but I also could run Tiger (10.4) since I have the disc. The iMac originally came with Tiger in 2006, but I am wondering if Leopard (10.5) was built for the newer 2006 & 2007 machines, since Tiger arrived in 2004/2005. I also could do a partition, as well. I already tried 10.7 Lion, but it was way too new for the iMac. I know Snow Leopard (10.6) is really known to run smooth & has the app store (which I don't use), but at times, it can run slow with only a couple apps running (Phototshop cs2, pages, internet & email) Give me your thoughts and what Operating system and why.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 8:51 PM

18 replies

Apr 3, 2014 9:10 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

I have all 3 OS X discs laying around along with iWork '09 and iLife '11. The only problem is that it takes time, becuase I'm technically downgrading the OS, have have to completely erase the whole Hard drive, then install Tiger (10.4) from the restore discs. Then I have to create two partitions for Leopard (10.5) and Snow Leopard (10.6), and then install those two operating systems. The good thing about discs is that they don't take as long as the new OS X's because they're not downloaded, but from the disc. They're also not a big OS becuase they didn't require much to power them. It takes 30 Min to 1 Hour for Snow Leopard, and that would be the longest one.

Apr 3, 2014 9:42 PM in response to CBennett2498

There are other considerations installing a lower, lesser OS X version.

You'll be using lesser versions of Safari since Apple ties versions of Safari to the OS.

Mozilla ended support for both the Camino AND FireFox web browsers under OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Adobe Flash Player is an issue since they abandoned support for older versions of OS X, too!

Apr 3, 2014 9:48 PM in response to MichelPM

Yes, I remember there is a website called Old Mac Apps or something of that sort that gives you all kinds of apps and software based on your Mac's OS X version. Now that you mention it, It mights take until Saturday or even Sunday to test the operating system, based on how busy I am and how long it takes to get everything to the highest/newest updates.

2006 intel iMac operating system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.