Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade from OS 10.5.8 to OS 10.6 with broken dvd drive?

• Hi I have a MacBook from 2010 and I still have OS 10.5.8 on it but most applications won't work now (like I can't download a new itunes) because my OS is so outdated. I want to put the next OS on it but my DVD drive is broken. Is there a way I can get and install a new OS on it?

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.8), broken dvd drive, upgrade to 10.6

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 9:18 PM

Get it fixed or use an external drive advertised as being compatible with your Mac model. Apple's USB SuperDrive isn't intended for it.

(104080)

2 replies

Apr 4, 2014 6:10 AM in response to EliseLetter

In theory it is possible to use the DVD drive on another Mac. The 2 Macs must be on the same local network, then you need to use a 3rd party control panel called "Secrets"

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27025/secrets>

and then use Secrets to enable "Show Remote Disc" on the Mac that has a broken DVD drive.

On the Mac that has a working DVD drive you use System Preferences -> Sharing to enable DVD sharing (if you do not have that option, it can be enabled via Secrets).

How do I upgrade from OS 10.5.8 to OS 10.6 with broken dvd drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.