Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ext HD not recognized by Mac/Pc

My HAMLET ext. hard drive no longer is showing on my desktop. I've not used it for a few years, but now need

something important of it and it doesn't show up on either macs i have (both using 10.4.11 OS) or a PC with windows 7.

The light comes on on the device, and I tried it in an ext USB port hub and also the slots on both macs. THe light on

the hub flashes as if it's reading it, the box hums along as it's it's being read, but nothing.

I looked up the specs online for the XX and it says no driver is needed.

HXD2CCUU

USB 2.0 Station 2.5” External Hard Disk Enclosure

features

• External USB 2.0 Box for 2.5" SATA + IDE Hard Disk
  • USB 2.0 interface, transfer rate up to 480Mbps
  • Supports Windows, Mac Os and Linux

specifications

• USB 2.0 interface
  • Max speed up to 480Mbps
  • Designed for 2.5" SATA or IDE Hard Disk (up to 9mm height)
  • Light weight design
  • Solid aluminum body for protection and excellent heat dissipation
  • Compatible with Windows 98SE and above, Mac OSX 9 and above, Linux (kernel 2.4.18 or above)
  • No driver needed (except Win 98)
  • USB powered, no power adapter required
  • Hot Swappable
  • Plug and Play
  • Dimensions: W. 79mm x L. 142mm x H. 17mm

Message was edited by: anne062

powerbook g4, Mac OS X (10.3.9), i photo 5

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 1:16 AM

1 reply

Apr 4, 2014 9:21 AM in response to anne062

USB powered, no power adapter required

that could be the problem. None of your computers are producing enough power at the USB ports to turn over the drive.

As electric motors (like the one that spins your hard drive platter) age, they can demand more power and eventually exceed what the ports can provide.

There are ways around this---these are cheap:

1) Get a powered USB hub (has it own, separate power brick). That will usually solve the problem.

2) Get a "Y" USB cable ( http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/USB2AYMBPB/ ) . Attaches to two USB ports on the computer to get more power to the drive.

Ext HD not recognized by Mac/Pc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.