Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad syncing via USB and/or WiFi

I have sync over WiFi turned on as it's very convienient to sync the kids iOS devices over WiFi regardless of where they might be in the house. I got into the habit for my own devices too, again as it meant that it didn't matter if they were plugged in or not for those smaller updates.

Anyway, I just plugged in my iPad to my MacBook Pro via USB to do a sync of a pile of Video files when I noticed the WiFi was pushing data back and forth. It seems that since both my devices are connected via the same WiFi network they are syncing over WiFi instead of the USB cable they are connected by.

I've read this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1386

So does WiFi sync become the defult even when there is a USB cable connection? It seems crazy to use WiFi when there is a hard line there and plugged in??

Checking performance and I'm seeing between 3 and 5MB/s real transfer rates over my Wireless N connection. USB2 should walk all over that (although how fast is the iPad itself).

So is this an *OR* setting or should it be using the USB connection when it's available?

iPad mini (Retina) Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 1:47 AM

1 reply

Apr 4, 2014 4:32 AM in response to The_Hawk79

I believe if your setting for wifi sync is to 'automatically sync' then it does it even though there is a hardline connection.

I personally turned the wifi auto syncing off because I also had it set to open iTunes and after spending an evening with my ipad 'hijacking' my surfing opening my iTunes to sync I tuned off the automatic features to make things manual.

As far as I know there is no 'or' setting. It syncs or it doesn't. And if you have both on the only way to control them is to turn off the automatic features. (which makes syncing something you have to do, not something your comptuer does for you)

iPad syncing via USB and/or WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.