Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My wife and I share an Ipad. We each have our own email address and calendar. What is the best way for us to backup both accounts (we currently only have 1 ICloud account)? Thanks for any help! Alan

My wife and I each have our own email address and calendar. These are on one IPad. The Ipad has a single ICloud account.

What's the best way to backup both Calendars, etc? Does ICloud automatically back up every account on the same IPad? (I checked ICloud, but I could only find my stuff.)

Thanks for any help!

Alan

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 5:38 AM

5 replies

Apr 4, 2014 7:38 AM in response to alanfromgreensboro

Although OS X is a multi-user operating system that can support individual accounts, email, calendars, messaging, Apple ID, and iCloud accounts; the version of OS X on the iPad is not multi-user in the preceding context, and only knows about your Apple ID and your iCloud account. Although you both share the iPad, it does not recognize your wife as the principal Apple ID and iCloud account holder for the device.

You will need two iPads appropriately connected to iCloud with unique Apple ID and iCloud registration to ensure individual content backup, and synchronization with individual desktop OS X accounts.

Apr 4, 2014 8:27 AM in response to alanfromgreensboro

First, you need to understand that there's a difference between "syncing" and "backup". Backup is the saving of content and settings, where syncing is the bidirectional transfer of content for an account to a web-based server (like iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.)

If you see your calendar in your iCloud account, that implies that you have set up your iCloud account to host (sync) your calendar, and perhaps contacts, email, and notes. An iCloud account can only sync one user's information at a time so it is intended to support a single user. You can have more than one iCloud account, and you can even have more than one iCloud account on the same device (but one has to be primary, and the secondary iCloud has limited capabilities), but a single iCloud account only supports a single user's content.

Backup is the saving of your device's content and settings to use in case you need to recover these things, but you can't see the contents of your backup (just the size and device name). You can backup more than one device to iCloud and you can backup to iCloud or you can backup to your computer, or both (one at a time though, you have to choose).

So, if your wife has her own email and calendar she can certainly do that in parallel to whatever account(s) you have for email and calendar. But if you have only one iCloud account then only one of you can use it for email, calendar, etc. But the backup of these accounts is really just a backup of the device's settings that link the device to these accounts. For example, if she uses Gmail then the backup of the iPad only backs up the fact that your iPad is set up to use her account, it does not backup the account itself (the content of her account is saved and preserved on Google's servers, not your device's backup).

Does that make better sense?

My wife and I share an Ipad. We each have our own email address and calendar. What is the best way for us to backup both accounts (we currently only have 1 ICloud account)? Thanks for any help! Alan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.