Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB bus scans cause "Charging not supported with this accessory" messages?

I have a Late 2013 27" iMac and since it has no built-in optical drive I have an ASUS SDRW-08D1S-U connected to it via USB. I'm running OS X 10.9.2.

When I plug my iPhone into a USB port it quite happily starts charging, but every few minutes OS X will scan the DVD drive to see if it has any media in it and when that happens the iPhone will wake up and display "Charging not supported with this accessory." The iPhone will stop charging and won't start again until I disconnect and reconnect it.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the iPhone and drive are plugged directly into the iMac, into a USB hub, or some combination of the two. There only seem to be two ways to prevent this (1) by plugging the iPhone into a wall wart instead (but then I don't get USB transfer speeds with iTunes) or (2) unplugging the DVD whenever I want to plug the iPhone in (too bad if I was listening to music or watching a DVD).

To be completely honest I don't know if this has always happened or only since upgrading to Mavericks.

Anybody have any ideas why this happens and how I can still have both devices happily coexist?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 9:26 PM

The issue seems to be related directly to the ASUS SDRW-08D1S-U USB DVD writer (firmware rev 1.02 for anyone who cares). I have just replaced the ASUS writer with a Samsung SE-208DB DVD writer and the issue no longer occurs - the iPhone will happily charge all day regardless of which USB ports the iPhone and writer are plugged in to.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2014 9:26 PM in response to Always_Learning

The issue seems to be related directly to the ASUS SDRW-08D1S-U USB DVD writer (firmware rev 1.02 for anyone who cares). I have just replaced the ASUS writer with a Samsung SE-208DB DVD writer and the issue no longer occurs - the iPhone will happily charge all day regardless of which USB ports the iPhone and writer are plugged in to.

USB bus scans cause "Charging not supported with this accessory" messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.