Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So what happened to iTunes Radio?

I'm using iTunes 10.3 and I keep getting the "error in contacting radio tuning service". Its been like this for almost two weeks now. It was working perfectly fine, and one day, poof, it wasnt.

Whats the official word from Apple?

I know its not the program since I've uninstalled it, deleted all the associated folders and files, and reinstalled it. I've gone as far as flusing the DNS and cache's, and its still the same thing.

So can someone from Apple actually come here and say what the problem is so people can know? Or is it time to look at other services.

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 6:42 AM

22 replies

Apr 4, 2014 6:58 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

I cannot use iTunes 11, because somehow, a multibillion dollar a year worldwide company somehow finds it impossible to bring iTunes Radio back to iTunes11 for Canadians. So I've been stuck with iTunes 10 because it was the only thing that worked for Canadian's.

I would love to use iTunes 11, but Apple is making it very difficult for Canadians to get what they have been using for nearly ten years.

But if they did squash iTunes Radio for iTunes 10, then they should have informed us.

Apr 4, 2014 7:09 AM in response to Doofi

While it might be easy to blame Apple, the issue is one of copyright law and contractural arrangements...Apple has only arranged the contracts in the US so far and is working for such in other countries. Same as with moving music and books from country to country...each country has its own laws that must be met. It is frustrating to have that issue with neighboring countries, but the laws are different and must be met in each country.

Apr 4, 2014 7:24 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Come on. Its been 2 years now. You are telling me that in 2 years, with 70,000+ employees, and over $100Billion in revenue, that they couldnt figure it out?

Especially considering they had it before, for a long long time. Its not like Canada didnt have iTunes Radio and they are trying to enter the market for the very first time.

But thats besides the point, the issue here is for them to inform us of what has happened. Not keep silent like a bunch of mutes and have peopl come here post up the same quesition over and over, with no real clue as to whats going on.

Apr 4, 2014 7:46 AM in response to Doofi

OK, let's clarify some misuse of terminology (caused by changes in how Apple themselves have referred to things) that is leading to misunderstanding: iTunes Radio and the Internet streaming are two different things.

iTunes Radio is a music streaming service operated and hosted exclusively by Apple. It's currently available only in the US and Australia, and is available only through ITunes 11.1.

Internet "radio", found in the Radio section of iTunes 10 and earlier, is different. The streams are not hosted by Apple but rather are provided by some other service. The only service Apple provides is a "tuner" that lists these streams in iTunes. Apple has apparently been having problems with the tuning server in some parts of the world, though it works in other areas. This is the problem you've been running into, and hence references to iTunes Radio above are inapplicable and made due to this confusion of terminology.

Regards.

Apr 4, 2014 7:50 AM in response to Doofi

Is there some confusion here between the terms iTunes Radio & Internet Radio? iTunes Radio is a new service launched September 18th, 2013 in the US only (ignoring glitches) and extended to Australia since February 11th, 2014. Internet Radio should work for you in the current build of iTunes. It may be that it has stopped working in your older version if there has been a change in the server hosting the station information.

tt2

Apr 7, 2014 9:22 AM in response to Doofi

Still, the bottom line is "Why didnt they say something"? I'm in Oklahoma and I've been down for three weeks! It's not a Canada thing.

Are they just going to let everyone go through the agony of wondering what the **** went wrong? Does my Airport need rebotting? Has my Airport Express gliched? Do I need to reload itunes? Does my opperating system need an upgrade? Why is everything else working like glass, but this?

It's insane to even risk it for Apple. I don't care how much it is. Where do I sign up? What do I gotta do? Why the **** would you just sneek it in there and make me jostle through all the forums just to find out that we need to upgrade our itunes? I dont care about misuse of termonology, page misuse, copyright backend contract negotiations, tuners or servers. I embrace upgrades most of the time. Bring it!

Put it front and center!

New Itunes! Coming Next Month! And then even the courtesy, "Dont forget. Itunes radio. Only Compatable With The New Upgrade" reminder, the weekend before.

Be proud of your business angles and your end product. I'm an Apple guy for a reason. Because it's the best!

So Apple. Put it together. Handle everything that needs to be handled, internaly. Let me know how much it is and for God sakes... Let us all know upfront when It's coming before we all go through the trama of thinking somethings is broke or down or offline!

Apr 9, 2014 2:03 AM in response to leeshideaway

Internet Radio is working just fine here. The services are all hosted by third parties. Typically any of the stations can also be played directly from their respective web sites without involving iTunes so it isn't like Apple can "break" the service and they clearly haven't removed the feature. What station is it that you cannot access? If you copy the URL from a website will iTunes open the stream as shown in PH12332: iTunes 11 for Windows: Listen to Internet broadcasts - Connect to an Internet broadcast?

tt2

Nov 8, 2014 10:05 PM in response to turingtest2

I used to hit the "radio" button in iTunes and get a list of thousands of radio stations to chose from. Now, I hit the same button and I get some wonky collection of crappy tunes selected by some wanker(s)? The range of "stations" is unsatisfactory. I would like to listen to French radio. I would like to hear what is playing in Germany or Japan. This is not possible in the "radio" that iTunes offers, now. The radio streams were a really neat feature that brought the world's REAL music into your computer. Now it's a vastly scaled-down, poorly categorized ramshackle of supposedly "curated" music. Sad. Really sad. REALLY really sad.

Nov 9, 2014 11:17 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the input! I am using iTunes 11.4. Maybe that is why I don't see the three dots in the toolbar? I did, though, find an "internet" box to click in the general preferences menu, and the "internet" bubble is now one of the choices along the top menu bar (along with "Radio", "Songs", "Albums", and "artist", etc.), so I will give that a go in the morning!

Thanks!

So what happened to iTunes Radio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.