Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeating start dictation in Edit menu?

Having a seemly unsolved issue with the Main Menu > Edit > "Start Dictation" repeating over and over again in the menu. Apparently, it is happening within numerous software programs (in my case, Toon Boom Animate 3) and has been identified as an OS X Mavericks issue (previously, a Mountain Lion issue). So far, Internet searches indicate other people are having the problem, but no solution has been offered. Anyone have an answer to this anomally?

P.S. I'm new to participating in forums, so any advice on how to better/properly use the support communities is welcome.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 7:51 AM

5 replies

Apr 4, 2014 8:40 AM in response to babowa

No, I don't use Dictation and it is disabled. The problem occurs when using other software with OS X. Apparently, there is a glitch with the "Start Dictation" option, which appears under the Main Menu > Edit menu, that causes the "Start Dictation" words to repeat over and over again in the Edit menu drop down. It seems something people are doing/accessing/clicking...go figure...within certain software is causing the Mac OS X to keep adding another "Start Dictation" in the menu. The longer I use the program I'm in, the "Start Dictation" words keep adding to the Edit menu drop down into perpetuity until I close the program. From what little info I have found, it supposedly isn't a problem with third-party software rather it is a glitch with Mac OS X, which seems logical as it would be extremely coincidental for numerous software manufactures to be making identical errors in their coding. What I cannot understand is why Apple has not even addressed the problem. I am also confused as to why there isn't much discussion going on about this. Internet searches has indicated other people have had the same problem. I contacted the software that I have the problem with (Toon Boom Animation Software) and they acknowledged other users have had the same problem, but then stated it is a problem with Mac's OS X, which seems to be an accurate assessment since other people using other software are having the same issue. As an example, it has apparently happened with FireFox Browser so I don't think it is a problem with Toon Boom. Hmm.

By the way, whenever these "Start Dictation" words are added, clicking on them does nothing. They seem to be functionless.

Apr 4, 2014 9:32 AM in response to Str8r

Ahh, I see. FWIW, I always use Firefox (with Mavericks on one machine and Mountain Lion on the other) and have not had that problem. Also, have never heard of it either. But that doesn't mean anything.

I'd suggest you send feedback to Apple directly - they do read those:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I'd also politely suggest to your software developer that it is usually the third party app developers who need to make their product compatible with an operating system, not the other way around. There are always pre-release versions made available to developers in advance for them to test with their product.

Apr 4, 2014 4:19 PM in response to babowa

Thanks, babowa. I agree that the onus is on the third-party developer to make sure their software works properly regardless of where the problem originates. I, too, found Toon Boom's response that it was an OS X problem a cop-out. Nonetheless, I will utilize your link to make Apple aware. Thanks for your input. Best to you.

Repeating start dictation in Edit menu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.