Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to the mail merge?

I need help with the mail merge. What happened to it?

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 10:22 AM

14 replies

Apr 7, 2014 5:53 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

It doesn't work in Pages '09, either. I say again, "I just got off the phone with tech support at Apple. He couldn't make it work either. Apparently, Mavericks has removed Mail Merge capability. Make that upper case MAVERICKS HAS REMOVED MAIL MERGE FUNCTIONALITY. He promised to point it out to the engineers." The guru on the phone, working in Pages '09, couldn't get it to work, either. The only salvation I can see is that the Firm That Shall Be Nameless just released a Mac version of Office. Assuming its word processor does mail merge, one will have to migrate to it to do mail merge.

Apr 7, 2014 8:00 PM in response to jfb1946

Well, it beats me. This is the Pages I'm using.

User uploaded file

This is what I get.

User uploaded file

Pages '09, doesn't recognize Contacts. This is what I got myself, what the Apple tech saw on my computer when we were on the phone, and what he said he got when he tried it on his computer. Note that "Last Name" is in a window indicating that it is a merge field.

Apr 8, 2014 8:07 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Here is what I am doing.

1. Open Pages '09.

2. Create a document.

3. In that document, put the cursor where I want the merge field.

4. In that document, select Insert > Merge Field > Name > Last Name

5. Click Return

6. Select Insert > Merge Field > Address > Work City

7. Show Invisibles to make sure the name and city are in separate windows, indicating that they are merge fields.

[This should finalize as the last name with the work city under it.]

8. Click Edit > Mail Merge.

9. And get the results shown on my last posting.

10. I repeated the process substituting “Sender Field” for “Merge Field”

in steps #4 and #6 and get the same results.

I obviously have a basic misunderstanding of the process. What am I doing wrong?

One other thing: I have both Pages '09 and Pages 5 installed. Could they be conflicting with each other?

Apr 8, 2014 9:28 AM in response to Dr. Dave

I have both Pages '09 and Pages 5.2 installed on my Mavericks OSX 10.9.2 boot drive. They do not interfere with each other at all. Apple has all Apps sandboxed since Lion.

User uploaded file

Menu > Insert > Merge Field > Choose

User uploaded file

NB How the Merge Inspector adds the new fields to its list:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dragged the VCard (the blue highlighted name) of the Contact onto the Pages document below:

User uploaded file

The Result:

User uploaded file

For multiple merges make up a Group in Contacts and drag the Group onto the Pages document and it will reproduce several pages of merges.

Peter

Apr 8, 2014 10:04 AM in response to Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave wrote:

The only salvation I can see is that the Firm That Shall Be Nameless just released a Mac version of Office. Assuming its word processor does mail merge, one will have to migrate to it to do mail merge.

Salvation does not lie with the Dark Lord.

LibreOffice [free] is the only light at the end of this Apple deliberately collapsed tunnel.

Peter

What happened to the mail merge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.