Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not connect to internet

My computer will not connect to internet. Network status is connected "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet"

I have had my internet service provider at my house. The connection is fine. It will not connect with correct IP address from my modem. Which is a Motorola surfboard SB6121. I have a generation 2 time Maxine but at this time I'm just trying to connect with the internet. Wifi is turned off.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Incorrect IP address

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 11:11 AM

1 reply

Apr 6, 2014 11:28 AM in response to Emyeag

Hey there Emyeag,

It sounds like you are trying to connecto to the internet via ethernet to your providers modem but are unable to connect. I recommend these steps from the article named:

Mac OS X: Troubleshooting a cable modem, DSL, or LAN Internet connection

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1317

If you use AirPort
Simplify the troubleshooting procedure by temporarily removing the base station from your network. Set up one computer to connect directly to your DSL or cable modem using the steps below. After re-establishing service to the computer, see the AirPort section below. Alternatively, troubleshoot from a more AirPort-specific perspective with the AirPort Troubleshooting Guide.
Check all cables and power supplies
Make sure all the cables related to the modem are plugged in and firmly inserted. This includes the modem's power cord, the cable from the modem to the computer, and the cable from the modem to the outlet. To be sure a connector is properly inserted, disconnect and reconnect it. Check to see if the cables have been cut, chewed, or otherwise damaged.
If you have any hubs or routers, check their cables and power supplies. If you have more than one power supply available for a type of hub or router, try swapping the power supplies. A defective power supply may affect network traffic.
Reset/power cycle modem hardware
Cycle the power on your DSL or cable modem by turning it off for a few minutes then turning it back on. If the device has a battery, you may need to disconnect it to completely reset the device. This is typical in modem/routers that provide VoIP service. Some ISPs recommend you unplug the modem's power cord. This is required if the modem does not have a power button.

If the modem has a reset button, you can try it before or after cycling the power; however, if you are unsure about how to perform a complete reset, consult with your ISP before doing so.

Note: If you have phone service through your ISP (such as Voice over IP services, or VoIP), power cycling your modem may temporarily interrupt that service. You may need to contact your ISP in order to restore your phone service if your modem is reset or powered off. You should ensure that you have alternative means to contact your ISP (such as a cell phone), to avoid unnecessary delays in restoring your Internet or phone service. Some broadband devices, such as cable modems with VoIP features, may include a battery that provides device power in the event of a power loss. If you have a device such as this, be sure to also disconnect the device's battery for at least 30 seconds after disconnecting the power cable.

Be sure that your software settings are correct, as described in the Check Network preferences settings section below.
If you still cannot connect, you may have a DNS issue. Your Internet service provider's DNS service may not be working, or you did not configure it correctly.
If you still cannot connect and your cable modem link light is positive, but you haven't replaced the Ethernet cable yet, substitute a new or known-good Ethernet cable for the one you have been using.

Check Network preferences settings

Use Network preferences to verify your TCP/IP settings and that Built-in Ethernet is your primary network interface.

Follow these steps if you are using Mac OS X v10.5:

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. From the View menu, choose Network
  3. Be sure that "Built-in Ethernet" has not the status Inactive listed below the entry in the list of network ports.
  4. Make sure Built-in Ethernet is the selected, or primary, network interface: Click the action button (gear icon) below the list of network port and choose "Set Service Order...".Services can be dragged to change order. Services are listed with descending priority.
  5. Select a network port in the list of port to configure it.
  6. Click Advanced..., then click the TCP/IP tab.
  7. Follow your ISP's instructions for setting up this pane. For more information, see Mac OS X: How to Connect to the Internet With Cable or DSL.
  8. Click OK when finished.
  9. If you have made any changes, click Apply Now.

Follow these steps if you are using Mac OS X v10.4:

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. From the View menu, choose Network.
  3. Choose Active Network Ports from the Show pop-up menu.
  4. Be sure that the checkbox for "Built-in Ethernet" is selected.
  5. Drag Built-in Ethernet to the top of the Port Configurations list to make it the preferred, or primary, network interface.
  6. Choose "Built-in Ethernet" from the "Show" pop-up menu.
  7. Click TCP/IP.
  8. Follow your ISP's instructions for setting up this pane. For more information, see Mac OS X: How to Connect to the Internet With Cable or DSL.
  9. If you have made any changes, click Apply Now.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Can not connect to internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.