Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AHT not starting

I've tried both install DVDs, holding D when restarting, holding option+D, holding just option. Option brings up disk utility, but not AHT. What gives?

BTW, diagnostics in Disk Utility has revealed nothing, but I KNOW there is something wrong. I need to do a more thorough diagnostic.

iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone 3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 11:07 AM

13 replies

Apr 4, 2014 12:23 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I did. I don't want to install Leopard tho (which is what it's asking me to do now), I just want to run AHT. Can I not do that?

I'm not familiar with doing more than running Disk Utility and resetting PRAM... much more than that and I'm out of familiar territory. I DO want to find out what the heck (replace "he" with "fu" in that word) is wrong with my system.

I've JUST finished erasing my HD (7-pass) and reinstalling Mavericks, which took nearly 24 hrs to do. I'm not much interested in installing Leopard just to be able to run a diagnostic tool...

Apr 4, 2014 6:06 PM in response to andyBall_uk

It has been freezing/crashing intermittently for the better part of a year now. Sometimes it just freezes, requiring me to hold the power button; sometimes it freezes and restarts automatically; sometimes the screen flickers and/or displays artifacts, which can usually be corrected once and a crash forestalled by quitting Safari, relaunching Finder, and then reopening Safari; sometimes when powering down or restarting, it freezes on a grey screen before actually shutting down, again requiring a hard reboot (power button), and at other times it's just slow (this has been less of a problem lately, as the freezes happen before it has a chance to slow down!).

The problems occur frequently one day, and then it'll be fine for several days. I did the erase reinstall and nothing has changed. Since doing a reinstall of Mavericks, which completed around noon today, it has crashed 3 times without any peripherals, and thrice more with peripherals. The peripherals seem to not have any added negative effect on the frequency, timing, or manifestation of the various problems. It almost ALWAYS (99% of the time) crashes when Safari is running (which is why I can forestall a crash by quitting Safari when the screen flickers or there are minor artifacts). I have tried a couple of other browsers, Opera being one of them, and it still crashed... so what I thought was a Safari problem seems to be a web content problem. There do seem to be certain sites that reliably cause a crash, and I do not visit them anymore (tumblr, buzzfeed, etc).

Now (since the erase and reinstall), my hard drive is virtually empty: I have not installed a single app or put any files on, so my 640GB HD has 630GB available, and I have 8GB of RAM. Also since the erase and reinstall, I am ONLY running Safari--no mail, no messages, no login items, NOTHING... and yet the problems persist, which rules out third-party apps, RAM-heavy apps, conflicting apps, HD capacity, peripherals, etc etc etc as problems.

AHT not starting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.