Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make sure my graphics card is dead?

After having Mavericks issues I did a clean install from Snow Leopard to Mavericks.

Installed all the apps and while using safari the screen froze and looked like this

http://blog.irrashai.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dsc00313.jpg

I've been reading up on Nvidia 8800 GT with Mavericks and didn't know I had to update the drivers. I've accepted the fact that I most likely will need a new card but I just make sure. After the first crash it booted up and I was about to email myself a copy of the crash report but it froze again. Now my Machine won't boot at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 1:06 PM

14 replies

Apr 4, 2014 1:44 PM in response to Hiroshi2014

The screen shot you posted says MacBook Pro across the bottom. If that was not the system you have, a statement to that effect would have been helpful.

Users have had nothing but trouble form the 8800GT, and there are numerous recipes online for removing plastic parts and baking in your home oven to re-flow the solder and get some more life out of it.

User Tip: Mac Pro silver tower (2006-2012) Replacement Graphics cards

Apr 4, 2014 2:11 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Excuse me for the confussion. That was an example of what my screen looked like. Can you confirm that my card is dead from the example pic? Is there any way that I can confirm it's dead before shopping for a new card?

If I were to buy this card...

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-ATI-Radeon-5770-MC742ZM/dp/B003Z6QH6M/ref=sr_1_7?s=e lectronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396645515&sr=1-7&keywords=ati+5870

would it work without having to install drivers?

Thanks!

Apr 4, 2014 2:18 PM in response to Hiroshi2014

That is the least expensive full-featured card until it was discontinued recently. Works in evey model of Mac Pro. The Drivers for that card are included in 10.6.5 and all later versions of Mac OS X.

Drivers for Apple cards are almost always included with the appropriate version of Mac OS X, and cards do not usually require anything be installed separately.

How can I make sure my graphics card is dead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.