Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect my Time Capsule to an Existing Network?

I've seen a few similar discussion threads and seem to suggest I can't do this without an Apple Router, but I just want to clarify:

I have a 3TB Time Capsule, I want to connect it to my existing Wireless Network so that I can set it up with Time Machine.

I have connected it to my current router (which is AT&T, not Apple) via an ethernet cable that's plugged in to a LAN port on the router, and the WAN port on the TC (I also tried this in a LAN port on TC but it didn't seem to make a difference).

I was able to find my TC on Airport Utlility, but when I try to select the Join Existing Network option it just keeps bringing me back to the Create New Network screen.

How do I fix this? Does it really need to be an Apple router? Am I just plugging the ethernet into the wrong port? Or should I just continue in the Create New Network screen and enter the same name and password as my existing network, or would that create a duplicate network?

Honestly I don't really care about extending the network or not, I just want to be able to wirelessly access the Time Capsule to use it with Time Machine.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 1:47 PM

1 reply

Apr 4, 2014 2:22 PM in response to tornadoallie

unless i'm missing something, i think you got mixed up, this is easy google for walk throughs

i'm assuming this is the new 3tb tc AC or 'tower' shape, if so, its wifi will run circles around your at&t device

unplug the at&t box for a minute and plug it back in

factory reset your tc - unplug it, hold down reset and keep holding while you plug it back in - only release reset when amber light flashes in 10-20s

connect the tc to your at&t box via eth in the wan port, wait 1 minute, open airport utility look in 'other wifi devices' to setup the tc

create a new wifi network (give it a different name than your at&t one) and put the tc in bridge mode (it may do this automatically for you, but you should double check) under the 'network' tab

login to your at&t router and disable wifi on it

add new clients to the new wifi network, and point your Macs to the time machine for backups

How do I connect my Time Capsule to an Existing Network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.