Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Complicated iCloud Account Issues - Please Help?

Hi there,

My apple ID and my icloud ID are different. The apple ID is registered with my up to date email address, whereas the icloud ID is registered with an email account that no longer exists.

I have been trying to sign in to my icloud ID but I can't remember the password. I have tried to reset the password but I can't use the email recovery option because the email address no longer exists. I can't use the secret questions because for some reason it says my birth date is incorrect?!

Is there ANY other way to reset the password for my icloud account so I can update the email address on it? At the moment I can't access icloud at all. Very frustrating. I have a macbook pro and an iphone 5.

Thanks.

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 2:16 PM

8 replies

Apr 4, 2014 2:45 PM in response to maireadtravins

If your phone is currently signed into this old ID in Settings>iCloud, and you are trying to change it to your current ID, you have to go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account, provide the password for the old ID when prompted to turn off Find My iDevice, then sign back in with the new ID.

You may find when you try that the password for the old ID isn't accepted. If this happens, and if your old ID is an earlier version of your current ID, go to https://appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Click edit next to the primary email account, change it back to your old email address and save the change. Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iDevice on your device, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then save any photo stream photos that you wish to keep to your camera roll. When finished go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https://appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

This won't work if your current ID is an entirely new ID that was never associated with your old email address.

Complicated iCloud Account Issues - Please Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.