Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S playback won't pause when connected to car USB.

I drive a 2009 Civic Hybrid, and when I connect my iPhone 5S to the USB jack, music plays automatically. When I try to pause it, it stops momentarily and resumes. It also overrides voice command. Any idea why this might be happening or how to stop it?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 1:55 PM

3 replies

Apr 4, 2014 5:07 PM in response to Kangaroo214

I would think this is the vehicle. Is the USB cord specifically designed for the iPhone 5S? Do you have to have a special cord besides the Apple one to connect to the vehicle? I know my Hyundai requires a specific cord that has an additional plug on the side to control the device with the car.

I would contact Honda dealership and ask them for assistance. If you search the forum here, you will find numerous issues with the iPhone and Honda automobiles.

Jan 4, 2015 2:38 PM in response to Kangaroo214

Same happens to me with a Hyundai Tucson under 8.1.x ; whenever I plug the phone it starts playing, and can't pause. Siri also won't work since as soon as it pauses the music, it resumes playback and interrupts Siri.

However at some point it did fix itself; it was something like I connected the phone while in the middle of a call after having done a sync, and then turned the car on and it did not initiate playback (since I was in the middle of a speakerphone call), and from then on it worked fine, did not do the automatic playback anymore. Everything worked as it should for weeks, until I upgraded to 8.1.2 and then it broke again. So it's some kind of setting or "cookie" that'd be stored either in the phone or in the car. Haven't been able to replicate the "fix" again.

iPhone 5S playback won't pause when connected to car USB.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.