Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac with Kingston SSD will not restart...only hard reboot

Hi,

I am having a slightly strange issue after installing a 240GB Kingston SSDNow 300V in my 20 Inch iMac 8.1 to replace the Western Digital spinning disk that gave up the ghost.

I have done a fresh install (numerous times now) on the SSD and tried various partitioning regimes all with the same result.

Power on hardware boot is no problem, waking from sleep also no problem... the issues arise when the iMac is restarted (soft reset) as it comes up with the flashing grey folder with the question mark; inserting the Snow Leopard DVD to have a look and the SSD does not appear, only the DVD. However, after pressing the power button everything boots up fine again and incredibly fast.... I am having no other issues with this drive other than that it will not soft reset.

I have included screen shots of the my setup just incase I have miss something important.

and the drive (proof it boots when turned off and on again....)

User uploaded file

I have looked on the apple firmware update page but strangely the entire 2008 iMac line up is missing so this appears to be the only firmware and SMC available. When and if I get this to work properly I will enable TRIM btw...

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am seriously pulling my hair out here and have spent over a week trying to figure this out.

Marc

<Image Edited by Host>

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Will only boot from power off

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 3:00 PM

5 replies

Apr 10, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Marcdboorman

Having done quite a bit of research I think I have found the problem (no fix though!)

There appears to be a few other SSD's that seem to have exactly the same issue, albiet generally with PC's. The issue appears to surrround the SATA hotpluging capability. As Intel Macs have no Bios there is no way to enable/disable it.

So it appears I am stuck with the issue. I am tempted to try another drive (Crucial M500) but I fear I may have exactly the same problem. Still havn't actually found anyone who has upgraded an Imac 8.1 with an SSD.

Regards

Marc

P.S. Here are some links to people with some simlar (albiet PC related problems)

Corsair drive, Another corsair, Intel SSD and an OCZ drive:

iMac with Kingston SSD will not restart...only hard reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.