Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple WiFi devices, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation

Hello,

it would be really welcome, if the Apple developer team would manage to get their WiFi devices such

as TimeCapsule(s), Airport Express, Airport Extreme 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation working without the

need to re-configure them again, and again, and again ... and ... again ...

After years and years and several firmware and many software updates ... this should become

"Mission Possible".

Thank you.

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 4:19 PM

34 replies

Apr 5, 2014 1:13 AM in response to artnative

Seems like Apple's 1st. generation devices are more reliable than 3.rd generation products. It would be somehow nice if I don't have to restart the "main magic apple box" to re-connect my TC again to the airport network.

I mean, I don't have my TC "on & powered" all the time. So, if I turn it on, it should automatically re-connect to the network without the need to restart the main airport device. After more than 10years Apple Support "for free". This should work.

Apr 6, 2014 7:25 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Maybe you should forward that question to the "Devcon-Level-Zero" of the Apple board.

I jsut love Apple management and sales tactics.

If the management says, you, the user are only allowed to update your iApps if you

install Maverick. The user follow and that's "the community".

---

I still can't figure out why my TC is only connecting when I restart the main base

station. If I only restart the TC, it does not re-connect to the airport network.

Maybe another firmware update? 😕

May 21, 2014 7:19 AM in response to artnative

Since Apple takes a lot of care about "energy efficient hardware" ... (http://www.apple.com/environment/;https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/environment.html) ... I would suggest to include a sleep function in all WiFi hardware devices (Apple Airport Extreme, Express, TV, TimeCapsule) that shuts down the device after a user specified time frame for inactivity.

May 31, 2014 3:26 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I tried to plug-in my plug & play USB surfstick into my Appe Extreme WiFi device to automatically share my internet connection with all my other Wifi devices and to be geographically independent, but it didn't work. (I could of course buy one USB surfstick for each iMac, Macbook and seperarte SIM cards for every mobile device, but ... does this make sense? And how do I share my files over filesharing? So many questions and so many possibly difficult and complicated solutions. Life's hard.)

May 31, 2014 3:39 PM in response to artnative

I tried to plug-in my plug & play USB surfstick into my Appe Extreme WiFi device to automatically share my internet connection with all my other Wifi devices and to be geographically independent, but it didn't work.

As the Specifications for the AirPort Extreme clearly state......the USB port on the AirPort Extreme will support a printer and/or a hard drive.

Therefore, a "surfstick" or USB modem would not be supported.

• Simultaneous dual-band 802.11ac wireless
  • Gigabit Ethernet WAN port for connecting a DSL modem, cable modem, or Ethernet network
  • USB 2 port for connecting a USB printer or hard drive4
  • Three Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for connecting a computer, Ethernet hub, or networked printer
  • Built-in power supply

http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/specs/

You must have somehow overlooked this important information

This might be yet another topic that you wish to take up with the Apple developers.

Jun 1, 2014 9:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

The "art to think like a child" without the need to read complicated manuals. How "childish" I am ... tz tz ... you are absolutely right ... silly me.

(The USB port only supports printing, not scanning, even though it's the same hardware. They should mention that as well in the "Specifications". It is a software related problem, not a hardware problem.)

Jun 1, 2014 9:39 AM in response to artnative

It is a software related problem, not a hardware problem.)

That is correct. You might want to recall though, that it is the printer manufacturer that provides the software for their devices. Apple can only use the software that the printer manufacturer provides.

If you would like to have "scan", "copy", "maintenance" and other functions supported at the USB port of the AirPort......then it is your printer manufacturer who must provide that software....not Apple.

You might want to to speak with the developers at the printer manufacturer to let them know what you would like to have.

Jun 1, 2014 12:03 PM in response to Bob Timmons

> If you would like to have "scan", "copy", "maintenance" and other functions supported at the USB port of the AirPort......then it is your printer manufacturer who must provide that software....not Apple. <

I am the "user". I use Apple's built-in technology printer dialog menu which says "Add printer" and me as the "iUser", I have absolutely no idea which of the software companies delivers which part or component of a software to make it working.

We had times where the "iUser" had to install seperately driver software (as Windows user do). Now we have a built-in printer dialog under OSX which works fine if I plug the printer directly to the Mac or via WiFi. If I plug it into the Airport Extreme USB port, the scan function is no longer available even though it is the same software and the same USB cable standard. Thus, in concern of the Airport Extreme, is this a "hardware" or "software" issue?

Jun 1, 2014 12:51 PM in response to artnative

I have absolutely no idea which of the software companies delivers which part or component of a software to make it working.

So, here you are saying that you do not know the manufacturer or model number of your printer?

You might want to look at the label on the back or bottom of the printer for that information.

Once you know who made your printer and the model number, you can ask the support people at the printer manufacturer if they can provide you with additonal software to allow advanced functions.

Apple WiFi devices, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.