Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted Apps still show on iPad

Here's my problem

1. Traded my old iPad for an iPad Air today. Restored from an iTunes backup.

2. The OS on the new Air needed updating to 7.1 therefore the restore didn't work for all the apps.

3. While waiting on the OS upgrade, I deleted some apps in iTunes that were on the iPad.

4. When the upgrade and new sync were complete, I have some dimmed out apps on the iPad.

They are not in iTunes. They are not in the apps list in settings. They are only icons on the iPad.

5. If I hold them down to get the wiggle and the X, it lets me delete but does not remove the icons.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 5:13 PM

5 replies

Apr 4, 2014 5:16 PM in response to Paul Allen6

Reset your iPad and then try to delete the icons - or see if they just disappear when the iPad starts up.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Apr 4, 2014 5:34 PM in response to Paul Allen6

Try Settings> General> Usage> Storage> Show all apps. See if the apps appear in there. If they do, tap the arrow to the right of the app name. Tap the red Delete button and see if the app icons disappear.

If that doesn't work, trying syncing with iTunes again.mif the apps are t in your iTunes library, hopefully syncing will remove the icons from the iPad.

Something else that might be worth a try is to download the apps again, then try to delete them again.

BTW.... It's really not a good idea to make changes to the iPad or in iTunes while the iOS is being updated, assuming that you were updating through iTunes.

Apr 4, 2014 6:06 PM in response to Demo

I agree about not making changes while updating, unfortunately I was hurrying did it anyway.

The apps didn't appear in the settings>general>storage>show all apps and the apps were not in iTunes.

I was trying to avoid redownloading but after your last response I tried it. It was weird but it works. Here's what happened. I had three apps. Went to App Store and searched for the app. The App Store didn't show that I'd already installed it. I punched the install button and the install process started. After the down load, the App Store didn't show "open", it showed "install" again. I exited the store and the dimmed icon had disappeared! Repeated the process for the other apps. Problem solved!

Thanks for your help.

Deleted Apps still show on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.