Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do you have a CPU process hog like: mds mdworker systemstat spotlight poor battery life and heated cpu

Here is the solution!!!

I had problem that was due to Spotlight getting lost/wacked. I could see it's processes in activity monitor using 7 to 80%. My normal stanby cpu load w/ Chrome 4-5tabs, and a few small apps running at 98.5% idle. I was able to get + 20 hrs with low light setting before this problem.(macbookair 1.7Ghz i7 wSSD 8GB)

mds

mdsworker

mds_stores

Launchd

Evidently spotlight sometimes can wake up on timer or nap mode and start during sleep mode.

Here is what I did to fix it ..... yes ... a real solution!!!!! I now have 98.5% system idle w/ Chrome and a few small apps running!

1.) I went to spotlight privacy settings (system prefs/spotlight/privacy) and added my extra drives to the "do not index list" for spotlight. This removes unneasary indexing work load of of spotlight as well as keeping other partitions private. You can also do this with folders on main drive that do not require searches via finder.

2.) I then deleted the index file with this command pasted into terminal. ( Terminal is in apps/utilities/terminal)

This has to be done via terminal since finder will not see this invisible file.

sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight-V100/*

here is the link I got it from in another discussion

http://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/spotlight-control-mac-os-x-mavericks-10-9/

3.)I rebooted and let the index start over. It almost immediatly throttled cpu down to 98.5% system idle!

The link above mentioned it might take an hour or so to rebuild index file.

GOOD LUCK! This took 4 hours to figure out!!!!!!

Coysolar

My Computer Configuration:

Note:

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air

Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B04

SMC Version (system): 2.13f7

Software:

10.9.2 (13C64)

VMware running W2000, XP, UBUNTU, DOS6.2

9 logical drives/partitions

Other notes:

numbers 2.1 and 3.1 ( problem started when running these together .... 2.1 numbers (iworks 2009) was migrated over and in different directory than the new OS incuded numbers3.1. I went and deleted all of iworks 2009 folders.

The only thing else I did recently was to add the "print to kindle" print driver to move docs over to kindle via wifi/cloud.

I have also seen this problem as a runaway "systemstat" process in system monitor. Killing it solves problem for a while, but it just comes back. Things that seem to trigger the run away are energy tab in the Activity monitor, or a sample of sytemstat process.

Another lesser solution I have seen is to stop spotlight completely... but then even finder will not search for files.

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 6:04 PM

There are no replies.

Do you have a CPU process hog like: mds mdworker systemstat spotlight poor battery life and heated cpu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.