Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer my iTunes library to an external HD?

My iMac was running out of space on the hard drive primarily due to iTunes (Music, Apps, Movies, etc) and photos. I just installed a WD My Passport 2 TB 3.0 External HD as an extra storage device for and chose to fill it with my music library. I watched a YouTube tutorial and basically just dragged and dropped my Music folder from the internal HD to the external. It took about an hour to copy--100GB worth of stuff but I think other files and programs got mixed in as well. Not all of my music is in the Music----->iTunes folder for some reason. Should it be?

Anyway, after it all copied and I made sure that it was on my external HD I deleted it from the internal drive and emptied the trash. The video said that upon startup of iTunes it would ask me what Library I wanted to open from--well, it didn't. It just opened on a few hundred songs that appear to be stored in the cloud (have no idea how those got there since I don't use the cloud). When I go into preferences=====> advanced, it shows that iTunes on the INTERNAL drive is the main folder. I can switch it to the external but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

I tried putting everything back on the internal drive and starting over, even rebooting from yesterday's Time Machine backup but it says that the disk is full. Any ideas? Thank you.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 8:42 PM

Launch iTunes with the Option key held down, click on Choose Library, and specify it.

(104143)

4 replies

Apr 5, 2014 8:08 AM in response to bzq

bzq wrote:

Niel, I tried that several times but the Choose Library screen never appeared.

Then try again.

Make sure iTunes is not running.

Hold the Option key.

Click the iTunes icon in the dock.

Select Choose library...

Select the iTunes folder you copied to the external

ITunes would boot up like usual but the only songs listed were in the Cloud. None of my Apps, Playlists, etc. appeared.

Because you moved the library and have not yet told iTunes to Choose the library you moved.

How do I transfer my iTunes library to an external HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.