Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reformat my External Hard Drive (Seagate Backup Plus).

Hello everyone. How do I reformat my External Hard Drive (Seagate Backup Plus Portable Device). I accidentally clicked to use it with Time Machine and my hard drive is of little use now. When I open my hard drive, it just shows 'backup', the same thing when I open it with Windows. Thinking of reformatting it back to be used to Mac and Windows. And not use it again with Time Machine. New to Apple, appreciate the help 🙂

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 9:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 9:20 PM

Open the Disk Utility in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and reformat it as MS-DOS, or use a tool on the PC to format it as exFAT.

(104149)

4 replies

Apr 4, 2014 9:24 PM in response to jaijoaquin

Hello,

"Thinking of reformatting it back to be used to Mac and Windows. And not use it again with Time Machine"

If you want to format the External drive as universally compatible, your best bet is to format it as exFAT. Note that reformatting the drive erases all contents of the drive.

1) Open Disk Utility located in /Applications/Utilities/ (or simply type it in spotlight and the application will show up)

2) Select the external Hard drive

3) Click the 'erase' tab.

4) Under format: select exFAT

5) Click "Erase" in the lower right hand corner to reformat the drive.

How do I reformat my External Hard Drive (Seagate Backup Plus).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.