Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make FCP save and work off my external hard-drive?

I am part way through quite a large project involving over 12GB of travel footage in high resolution, I have an external hard-drive plugged in and from what I believe, the event is saved onto it, however I keep getting this mesage that disallows me from continuing my editing; "The disk “Macintosh HD” is almost full. Please clear some space before continuing.", I am getting quite stressed out and would be very pleased to receive some help very soon, cheers.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 8GB RAM

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 11:17 PM

3 replies

Apr 8, 2014 4:33 AM in response to tommymcmaster

You can (and should) move your projects and events from within the app.

There is a Move command which is located in the File menu.

Are you using your external drive as a Time Machine backup? If so, it would be better to have a dedicated media drive – or at least a dedicated partition on the external for media.

If you have old projects and events on your boot drive that are consuming a lot of space, you could delete their render files and any transcoded media to potentially save a lot of space.

Russ

How can I make FCP save and work off my external hard-drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.