Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removed optical drive

After removing optical drive and replacing with ssd - Wifi no hardware

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 1:09 AM

Take the system apart again and make sure the WiFi card is connected properly. You have to move and or remove it to get the optical drive out so it seems you did not reinstall it correctly.

7 replies

Apr 5, 2014 5:55 AM in response to BobRz

Ah, thanks BobRz, that clears up one mystery. The OWC instructions showed that ribbon but my machine did not have it, even though I had wifi before I did this change. Maybe when Apple replaced my SuperDrive last year they made a change. I have had it apart and double checked each connection but still no wifi hardware showing. I guess I'm up for a trip into an apple store now. Thanks again .

Apr 5, 2014 5:56 AM in response to imageboy

The ouline in red is the card its holder and the on card connection. The blue outline is the connections, 2 of them, to the logic board.

User uploaded file

imageboy wrote:

Thanks for that tip. I have it apart but it is not obvious to me which is the wifi card. If its the long shrouded cable that runs along the back from one corner, it was very fiddle to get back. Could I have bent one of the tiny pins?

Removed optical drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.