Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the iMac good for Gaming/Video edditing ?

Hello Apple users,

I´m planning to buy a new Mac and I´m thinking about buying an iMac.

So, my Question is: Is the iMac good for Gaming/Video edditing ?

I want to play Games like Planetside2, Boderlands2, Starcraft2, Minecraft, The Sedddlers: Rising of a Kingdom, Team Fortress 2,Portal/Portal 2, ....

Some of this gmes I´ll play on a Bootcamp Windows or a VM.

I also want to use Screenflow, Cinema 4D, Logic Pro and iMovie.

But is the iMac good enougth for this?

Thanks you for your Answers,

Niggl1999

Sorry for my bad English I´m from Germany and still going to school.

The Details:

• 3,5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Prozessor (Turbo Boost bis zu 3,9 GHz)
  • 8 GB 1600 MHZ DDR3 SDRAM - 2x 4 GB (I´ll upgrade it to 32 GB by me)
  • 1 TB Fusion Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB GDDR5
  • It´s a VESA-iMac 27"

iMac

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 1:49 AM

12 replies

Apr 5, 2014 2:34 AM in response to Niggl1999

macs only play mac games you can't play games made for windows without

buying windows and installing it in bootcamp (dualboot between apples operating system called osx and windwows)

the game goes for windows programs so if the video edit program is not made in an osx version then again you need to install and boot into windows to do it

Apr 5, 2014 7:37 AM in response to Niggl1999

I can't help with your gaming question as I don't do that; however, I do a fair amount of video editing/rendering/burning and yes, an i7 processor ist ausgezeichnet! Ausserdem 16 bis 32 GB RAM.

Which Mac OS are you on?

Note: the newest version of iMovie (v.10) seems to be concentrated on using the cloud (online sharing) rather than a lot of editing or burning - the export function lacks quality options settings and it is far more difficult to export it to other applications. I've tried it and will stay with iMovie 9 (I have both installed).

Also, any intensive video work will use everything your Mac has, especially when dealing with HD video, so when you need to render, let it do its thing without doing something else on it - it will make things faster.

Is the iMac good for Gaming/Video edditing ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.