Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking to buy a refurbished MacBook Pro for video editing. Need suggestions on what to look for.

Hey Everyone,

I already own a 2012 Mac Pro Desktop. I do some pretty advanced video editing on it, using FCPX and After Effects, with FXFactory and many other plugins.

I need to invest in a MacBook Pro so I can transfer my projects and edit at different locations.

I'm looking for a refurbished or used model to save some money where I can.

My budget is not too large, but I can probably manage $1,000 - $1,500

Can anyone suggest a good model (im guessing 2011-2012) and a good graphics card to look for, so it can handle this type of stuff. I will obviously max out my RAM also.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions in advance!!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 5:04 AM

Typically there's only one model per year that has a discrete graphics circuit, which is what you want. You can't pick and choose the card. It either has one or is doesn't. I think there were different levels of onboard graphics memory in some of the older machines, but that's about it. Also, that's typically not on the 13" models but is on the 15" (or the 17" if you can find one).

If you go with a Retina, make sure it has all the RAM and SSD space that you want, since there's no way to upgrade either.

Try browsing through here. Note that only that first model listed is a non-Retina.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2014 5:04 AM in response to Feracuffz61

Typically there's only one model per year that has a discrete graphics circuit, which is what you want. You can't pick and choose the card. It either has one or is doesn't. I think there were different levels of onboard graphics memory in some of the older machines, but that's about it. Also, that's typically not on the 13" models but is on the 15" (or the 17" if you can find one).

If you go with a Retina, make sure it has all the RAM and SSD space that you want, since there's no way to upgrade either.

Try browsing through here. Note that only that first model listed is a non-Retina.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

Apr 5, 2014 5:12 AM in response to Feracuffz61

If you can find one of these on the second hand market, it should serve your needs well. It will accept up to 16 GB RAM (1600 MHz as well as 1333 MHz) and the HDD can be replaced with a SSD if need be. A 2.4 GHz CPU will be adequate, but if you find one a 2.5 GHz CPU, it will a little more icing on the cake. 🙂 The best 17" MBP from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp646

I have one.

Ciao.

Apr 5, 2014 11:03 AM in response to BobRz

Hey BobRzand OGELTHORPE

Thanks for your reply! BobRzJust looking to clarify.. When you said "Also, that's typically not on the 13" models but is on the 15" (or the 17..." were you referring to the onboard graphics memory? Should I stay away from a 13 inch? I'm going to follow OGELTHORP''sadvice and go for the 2011 model. The 13 inch are the most affordable and I've found ones with a 2.8GHz Processor that is right in my price range. Thanks again for your help guys!

Apr 7, 2014 7:36 AM in response to Feracuffz61

Let me offer a couple of other points you may find of interest. If you cannot locate a 17" MBP within your budget and are willing to settle for a less expensive 15" model, look for one that has the high resolution option. The resolution is 1680 x 1050 instead of the standard 1440 x 900.

In all cases, I consider an antiglare display a better choice compared to the glossy. I have had experience with both.

Do not become obsessed with a quad core CPU. If an application cannot take advantage of parallel processing afforded by a quad core CPU, it will not be any faster than a dual core CPU of the same speed. I have run some crude but valid tests that confirm this fact.

Ciao.

Apr 7, 2014 8:38 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

My main priority is that it will be able to keep up with more advanced video editing at a fast pace.

Just trying to decide what is most important for that, out of Model Year, Screen size, Seperate GPU, Processor, Processor Speed, Resolution, RAM.

From what I have gathered from you guys, I'm guessing a 15-17 inch 2011 Macbook pro (i7 processor), with or without a seperate gpu, with max ram will be my best bet?

Then from there, processor speed, resolution, and seperate gpu will just be a plus, or should i focus on these if i'm looking for stability with fast editing?

Thanks for the clarification guys. It's no fun working with a budget.

Apr 7, 2014 8:31 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I have to agree with Oglethorpe. Every MBP I've purchased has been with the antiglare display. One of the reasons I shy away from buying a new model is that it's not offered anymore. And I also agree on the higher resolution model. I have a mid-2010, which is what I advised you to stay away from, but I've already had the motherboard exchange. I'm going to keep this one as long as I possibly can. With an SSD in it, it's been a great machine.

Apr 7, 2014 8:39 AM in response to Feracuffz61

I see these as your priorities in assessing a MBP in order of importance;

discrete GPU (eliminates all 13" MBPs).

Resolution, high as possible. !7" MBP, 15" MBP with high resolution option, !5" normal resolution option.

Anti glare if available.

RAM and storage can be modified later if the situation warrants. These can be almost ignored when making the decision or a comparison.

Ciao.

Apr 7, 2014 9:00 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Alright great guys. so I should go with 2011 15-17 inch, i7, seperate gpu. is there any other seperate gpu besides Nvidia to search for, there are not many options for that online. Would anit glare and high resolution play a part in the speed? I can always transfer my projects back to my macpro to color correct and such. i always update ram seperately, thats a sinch. 2011 holds more ram anyway i believe. or should I settle for that 2010 link i just posted?

Looking to buy a refurbished MacBook Pro for video editing. Need suggestions on what to look for.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.