Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating thumbnails gets stuck trying to find an MP4 movie file

I have an iMac and had an error message "inconsistencies in your library" when loading iPhoto. I repaired it and and then noticed the thumbnails also need rebuilding. I start the process, but the rebuilding seems to halt and iPhoto freezes once the following message pops up:

'The movie file "xxx.MP4" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly'.

I have rebuilt the database library (20,000 pics 1.74GB), and even copied across a month old version of iPhoto library from Timemachine, when this issue was not happening, but the error with the same particular file reference cones up. I have located the file referred to on the hard drive and have even placed it next to the iPhoto library in the long hope that this might help.

What can I do to get iPhoto to continue building the thumbnails and function properly? Please help.

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 4:53 AM

9 replies

Apr 5, 2014 5:13 AM in response to Surfbum_

Does iPhoto not open any longer at all? Sorry, I misunderstood, that only rebuild thumbnails does hang.

So, If you can open iPhoto at least once to delete the movie from the event, thumbnail rebuilding should no longer hang.

If you cannot open the library at all, try to rebuild with iPhoto LIbrary Manager as described by Terence Devlin (Option2): Re: I can't delete an empty "Event" in iPhoto (running Mavericks 10.9.2). Tried command/delete.

Apr 5, 2014 10:54 AM in response to Surfbum_

If the rebuild with iPhoto Library Manager fails you may have to resort to the following:

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.

User uploaded file

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

OT

Apr 6, 2014 3:40 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad

I think I am in real trouble. Did as you said and I reviewed the files in the masters, but they only contain a few recent files, so I have not bothered dragging them over into a new iPhoto library.

Stupidly I have overwritten the original iPhoto folder/file with a restored version (done this three times from different dates) from Time Machine. I am a little concerned that the restored file from Time Machine may have a been a version pre-Mavericks. Do you think there are other locationsor specific folders I need to restore from the same TimeMachine restore date in order for the current iPhoto to see the whole library? If Mavericks has changed the names of Original and Master could that be an issue? As I cannot unpackage older versions of iPhoto until they have been restored I cannot investigate the older versions of iPhoto.

Help!

Apr 6, 2014 8:37 AM in response to Surfbum_

I am a little concerned that the restored file from Time Machine may have a been a version pre-Mavericks.

If the library was an iPhoto 7 or earlier librarhy you'll need to download and run the iPhoto Library Upgrader 1.1 on the library before trying to open it with iPhoto 9.5.1.

Another approach would be the following:

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.

User uploaded file

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

Apr 20, 2014 8:58 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad. Your suggested iPhoto Library Upgrader was not needed as I have been using the most recent version of iPhoto for some time.

I have fixed the problem by realising the iPhoto Library (140Gb) does not get a full back up if iPhoto is open. As the Time Machine backups for such a back up take time and my machine is set to sleep when not in use, it is often backing up when iPhoto is open.

I searched Time Machine backups on different dates, and discovered a IPhoto Libray which was the correct size (140Gb), as previous backups were only 1.7Gb (I should have realised this earlier). I have only lost a month's pics, but should be able to extract them from multiple restores of the partial backups if necessary.

I have now managed a full restore with thumbnails and also, thanks to you, now understand the "Package" concept of iPhoto, Masters and Modified etc...

I now know I must quit iPhoto and ensure it is not started until a full TimeMachine backup has occurred.

Thanks for your help.

Updating thumbnails gets stuck trying to find an MP4 movie file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.