Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have just bought a 3TB Time Capsule and plugged it in via my wired broadband router. TC is still flashing amber after 1 hour or more. What is wrong?

The Ethernet cable from my iMac has gone into a LAN port on the TC and another Ethernet cable from the TC's WAN port has gone into a port on the router. Is this the correct configuration? The router is working properly and my Internet connection has not gone down. So what do I do now? Any tips/advice would be welcome.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 12:45 PM

First, remove your existing router. Replace it with the Time Capsule. Connect an Ethernet cable from your cable modem to the WAN port on the Time Capsule. Connect an Ethernet cable from your computer to a LAN port on the Time Capsule.

Do the above with power off on all devices and the computer. When you turn everything back on start first with the modem, then the Time Capsule, lastely the computer..

Open Airport Utility to set up the Time Capsule on your computer..

Setting up Time Capsule for the first time

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2014 12:45 PM in response to rodericmitchell1

First, remove your existing router. Replace it with the Time Capsule. Connect an Ethernet cable from your cable modem to the WAN port on the Time Capsule. Connect an Ethernet cable from your computer to a LAN port on the Time Capsule.

Do the above with power off on all devices and the computer. When you turn everything back on start first with the modem, then the Time Capsule, lastely the computer..

Open Airport Utility to set up the Time Capsule on your computer..

Setting up Time Capsule for the first time

Apr 5, 2014 12:51 PM in response to rodericmitchell1

I would find out what the problem is, and the likely answer is double NAT.. but find out.

On the airport utility go to the TC, and click it.. the problem it has will list on the summary page.

Click each problem and fix them.

Kappy is assuming you are using a system that allows you to replace the current router with a straight modem.. but I see you are in the UK and most of your broadband is locked to modem routers. So the TC should be in bridge mode not router.

I have just bought a 3TB Time Capsule and plugged it in via my wired broadband router. TC is still flashing amber after 1 hour or more. What is wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.