Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should I give original install disc when selling?

Selling my iMac and wonder if I should include the original install discs?

Thanks,

Don

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), two OWC external drives.

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 12:53 PM

Yes.

(104184)

5 replies

Apr 5, 2014 2:41 PM in response to Zimmer1956

To add one note: legally, you are not allowed to sell a Mac with an OS installed which was obtained at the app store because the license is not transferable and your Apple ID is tied to the purchase forever, so you are supposed to erase your drive and reinstall the original system; the buyer will/can upgrade/purchase any OS or app from the app store using their own Apple ID.

Apr 5, 2014 3:23 PM in response to babowa

Thanks, I appreciate your input and I will do as suggested and advise what OS X is installed.

I have Time Machine on one drive, and CCC and other external drives.

What would be the best process to write zeros to the drive, use my CCC as boot drive and erase the drive?

I have done this before but want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Thanks,

Don

Apr 5, 2014 3:26 PM in response to Zimmer1956

One of two - in this case - would be to boot from your old install disk, wipe the drive and then reinstall the original OS on that disk.

Or, boot from a clone, wipe your drive and shut down the computer. Let the recipient install the OS from scratch. That method is great, but the buyer will not be able to "test" the machine.

should I give original install disc when selling?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.