Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've received a gmail email from Microsoft account team saying We detected something unusual about a recent sign-in to the Microsoft account ******* To help keep you safe, we required an extra security challenge. I then asks to follow link and sign in

Please help because since I've received an email from Microsoft warning they have detected suspicious activity on our Microsoft email account (wasn't even aware my gmail account had anything to do with Microsoft) I have been receiving other odd emails which consist of one or two huge lines of text in bright blue, usually to do with debt or one the Grand National and betting. These emails do no appear to be addressed to me but I'm still receiving them. I have put them all into the Junk Folder (by the way is that the same as reporting them as spam on and iPhone or iPad?)

I'm still concerned about this Microsoft email though. It advises that we need to give some extra security information for them to be able to protect us in future (which initially looked to me as if it may be a phishing email). If I follow the link it takes me to a page that looks fairly official and could well be Microsoft, I then asks me to sign in using username and password.

To be honest Im not sure I even have a Microsoft username or password and I'm concerned even if I did know it, whether I should be filling in that information or not? Also what's likely to happen once I've signed in? I'm concerned that once I had entered their site they would just be phishing for more information?

Just in case there is any relevance around about the time of receiving this email I and performed two fairly unusual actions.

1. I contacted an American company to ask if they would sell something to the UK.

2. I started using Keychain on my iPhone and iPad and signed in to all the shops and sites I use with my usual password and changed them all the keychain suggested passwords.

Typical trying to make myself safer and yet I'm now concerned I could be in danger.

Please can someone advise me on what I should do about this email, i,e, is it a phishing mail and should I Junk it or should I answer it and try and sign in and if I should answer it how do I know what my Microsoft sign in and password is?

Also can someone tell me how I report spam on my iPhone and iPad in a gmail account?

Sorry I've rattled on so much and I'm asking so many questions but they are all connected.

iPhone 3GS (8GB)

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 1:46 PM

It is a phishing email. Check Microsoft's site and see if they have an email for forwarding this type of scam.

2 replies

I've received a gmail email from Microsoft account team saying We detected something unusual about a recent sign-in to the Microsoft account ******* To help keep you safe, we required an extra security challenge. I then asks to follow link and sign in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.