Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Work around for radio tuner service not working

A work around for the lack of radio tuner service that has appearently hit Itunes versions lower than 11.

We all hope that Apple will restore Radio Tuner Service for us legacy products users soon, but I've been thrown under the bus more than once by Apple in the last 25 yrs to put much hope in that 😟 (I started with an Apple III w/a Z80 card running C/PM, yeah I'm that old)

Have your iTunes and your favorite browser open.

In your browser go to http://vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp/BrowseStations/startpage.asp

This will give you a list of Genre's, etc of streaming internet stations.

When you select a genre you'll get a list of stations that shows station ID, what type of feed codec and data rate.

Select any of the AAC or MP3 feeds.

Select play.

This will send a small download file to your computer containing the selected feeds URL.

Your computer will ask what app to use to open the file, select iTunes.

This will automatically open a file called Internet Songs at the end of Playlists in iTunes (if you don't already have one), and will install the URL there.

All the stations you selected will now be permanently stored in Internet Songs.

Viola, your very own custom personal internet radio playlist!

GT

Dual Core 2Ghz G5, 9.22/10.4.11/10.5.8

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 2:22 PM

18 replies

Apr 6, 2014 7:31 AM in response to Harrbee

I'm glad to hear that I'm not crazy and that something has changed with Apple. Instead of radio stations with iTunes, I get the error message about my iTunes radio tuning not working. Very sad. I think I failed to get the official notice that Apple was closing down this service.

In the meantime, one keeps getting continual hype about how Apple is doing so much to connect us . . . and then they close down the access to radio stations for older versions of iTunes.

Indeed as Harrbee wrote, they have taken away some of the magic. Apple may respond by restoring radio tuning but as someone cautioned recently, you may use Apple but never think of Apple as your friend.

Christopher B

Apr 6, 2014 7:37 AM in response to GT349

HI GT!

One more question, when you have a minute.

I selected and downloaded an ".m3u" file which opened in iTunes w/o any question as to which app. to open it in....and that file shows up at the bottom of the playlist column as you described.....however, while I was able to select and download a second file for the other station that I wanted to add, it will only show up in the playlists if I double click on it.......to get the first station to play, I have to select the file from the desktop.......it seems that I can only access one or the other from iTunes..........otherwise, I have to selected the desktop file to get it to play thru itunes...

I tried adding playlists to the left hand coloumn but, again, it's select one or the other from within iTunes.....also not "import" commands in iTunes are visible....

I am wayyy ahead now than I was before BUT if any of this makes sense to you, please let me know.....and, just for curiosity, may I ask where in the US you are located?...if you're in the US, that is.......just trying to get a sense of the world.....ha ha ha. I'm in NH!

Thanks, GT.....still a big help to me, even if this is as far as I can get!

Apr 6, 2014 9:54 AM in response to CBFilms

The have done this before with previous versions of iTunes with not a pep mentioned, you only see it in the forums.

We'll see if it comes back, but I doubt it. They just released iTunes Radio (different than Radio Tuner Service) in various markets around the world the end of Feb and the beginning of March of this year, it's been here since last year. This service has an option to pay a yearly subscription fee for commercial free programming. iTunes 11 uses iTunes Radio.

The timing of that release and the shut down of Radio Tuner Service, if that's what it is, co-incedental? I think not.

"you may use Apple but never think of Apple as your friend." your not kidding! You'd think that I'd learn this after 25yrs of using Apple products!

Apr 6, 2014 10:47 AM in response to Slipstream 50

IIRC, .m3u is a MP3 file. .pls will also run, I think those are AAC files.

I have to double click the selections in the folder to play, so I think part is normal.

The rest, I haven't a clue. I'm running iTunes 10.6.3 under OS 10.5.8. That's one difference.

I'll have to check it out. I have 9.2.1 installed on a 10.4.11 partion to do a test on.

I'm in Georgia, the US version😉

I'm an ex-pat Califonian, lived "next door" to Steve Jobs and the Woz in Menlo Park, the North end of Silicon Valley. Moved here in '98.

Apr 6, 2014 1:44 PM in response to Slipstream 50

Apperently iTunes 11 is not affected (Apple stil makes iTunes11 for the 14 yr old Microsoft XP OS, but not for anything PPCs can run. Go figure😢)

"Next door" to Steve was metaphoric, he lived in Los Altos, about 15 miles away, but he cast a big shadow!

On 9.2.1/10.4.11 differences, some time in the past someone selected 'save file' and checked the box 'don't ask again' on your computers dialog box. That's why you're not given a choice wih the file downloads. I would think that selection should be able to be reversed.

iTunes 9.2.1/OS10.4.11 puts those downloaded URLs into the Music Libary of iTunes, no matter if it's opened directly, or you click on the file on your desktop. You can create a new playlist, highlight the selection in the Music Libary, and drag it to your new playlist to keep alll the steaming URLs together. NOTE, this only creates an alias, the URL copied by iTunes must remain in the Music Libary. You can then delete the the files on the desktop, if you want. I did multiple stations this way in 9.2.1, they all show in either the new playlist created, or in the Music Libary, and remain after the desktop files are deleted and trash emptied.

You can switch sations by double clicking them. Another note, all the URLs were all from vtune.

I hope this helps.

PS, I forgot how clunky Tiger is compared to Leopard...

Apr 6, 2014 3:11 PM in response to GT349

15 miles IS "next door" in my book.........I would think that if you really lived adjacent to Steve Jobs, you'd not have moved away from CA.........probably.

I'm going to try to trash my iTunes pref file to see if that addresses the dialog box that you mentioned.....can't hurt since iTunes would just create a new pref. file the next time in opens........

Thanks for staying with me on this....at ;east I can listen to radio again off the box........and, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to get the Leopard install and then add abit or RAM.

The G5 Dual is only worth $100 or so used and I might as well just keep it running even when I do upgrade to a new MacMini.........almost not worth trying to start a new acctg. appl. on the mini if Quciken still runs on the G5......

Thank you so very much, GT...if I succeed in getting both stations in the G5, I'll let you know for sure but I'll take a 50% success over a 100& failure any day of the week!

Steve

Apr 17, 2014 2:58 PM in response to GT349

Thank you so much. We can have some communication problems out here at the end of the wire. Thought my lack of radio was at my end. I really appreciate your guidance in returning the far-reaching connection of free radio. No excuse for this to have been dropped my mother-corp. My big old aluminum box supports a small suite of software that does all I ask or expect for my work. When something nice comes free, and in this case, free again it's very nice.

Apr 17, 2014 6:19 PM in response to GT349

Hey, all

I contacted Topher Kessler, the MacFixIt correspondent at CNET, about this issue.

He tells me the radio internect connection still works on his array of Macs. He guided me through several rounds of troubleshooting with my Titantium G4 PowerBook. However, none of this safe booting, etc. restored the internect connection. I continued to get and still the internet connection error message.

Which leaves the actual solution or diagnosis up in the air. My workaround has been to select the individual stations I'm interested in from the Internet and load those into my iTumes playlist. I don't have the world quite at my fingertips as before but at least I've got KCRW back. (To myself, make a note to track down that French electronica station you liked so much.)

I suppose the next step to satisfy my curiosity is to make the trek to my closest Apple Store and raise the issue there. If I learn anything new, I'll respond again.

Meanwhile . . . quien sabe?

Christopher B

Apr 17, 2014 7:53 PM in response to GT349

From what I have seen posted, the Radio Tuner Service is only working with iTunes v11.1.5 with OSX10.6.8/up on an Intel based Mac. Or on an ancient windoze machine running XP, Yep, Apple still supports those old dogs! If your OS does not support v11.1.5 you are S.O.L. IMHO, this is not a technical issue, but a planned marketing one. Apple would just as soon see any older Mac systems thrown into a dumpster, and you buying a new Mac. WWSJD...

Work around for radio tuner service not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.